Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's HBFP and CZ's

Matt W

I bought some of the Berry's Hollow Base Flat Point bullets, I'm loading them up for the wife's CZ. I checked the OAL

using the spent case method and kept coming up with 1.063 to 1.065, I took .010 off and I'm right around 1.053 to 1.055 currently. They drop in the chamber fine and feed fine. Is there anyone shooting these in their CZ's? I'm using E3 for powder right now.

And being on the short side for the CZ, will they shoot fine in the M&P's? I'd be nice if I could have one load for the various pistols.

You can get that barrel throated for $30.00 and the price of shipping. That is what Dawson has been doing mine for. So load up some dummy rounds at the OAL you want and ship it to you favorite GS and the problem is solved. It takes about a week to get mine back using USPS @ $5.15. Just a thought to uncomplicated matters.

Matt, if they feed, they're not too short. You can test that on your own.

As to whether or not it's too short for e3, how the powder behaves is really more about seating depth than OAL. If it helps any for context, a Berry's HBFP at 1.055 has the same seating depth as a Berry's HBRN at 1.12. I personally haven't loaded e3 with Berry's HBFP, but I HAVE loaded e3 with Berry's HBRN, just at 1.15. So I can't really help too much with 1.12 other than to say start low and work up.

Also, I've loaded e3 with heavier bullets seated deeper than your Berry's HBFP, so I see no reason why it won't work. ;-)

Start low and work up. Start low and work up. Start low and work up.

They seem to feed great. I only loaded a few to try, I started at 3.0 gr. I am going to load a few more and check velocities and accuracy and then see what they do in my M&P.

Laughingdog, what gun were you loading them for?

I am currently running a CZ75 SP-01 (non-shadow). Any round nose ammo I've loaded works great in it at 1.155". Truncated cone flat-point just seems like a pain in the butt with this thing. I could get it throated, but I just don't see a point since RN ammo works out so well, and I can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards with them. So no complaints on that end either.

Matt,

I load Berry's 9mm 124hbfp copper plated and extreme 124fp copper plated and found the shorter OAL of 1.065 to print the best in my M&P 9mm 5" pro series. Have shot about 1,500+ rounds with no feeding issues in the same gun as well. Have gone out to 1.10 but found best accuracy at 1.065.

Was using clays and still do, but now HP-38. Follow berrys load data an see what works best for you.

beretta391

Edited by beretta391

Thanks for the info guy's. I'm going to load some up and check accuracy and feeding in both the CZ and M&P. Then I can go from there to see if I need to make two different OAL's. Now I need to see if the E3 will meter well out of the 650.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for the info guy's. I'm going to load some up and check accuracy and feeding in both the CZ and M&P. Then I can go from there to see if I need to make two different OAL's. Now I need to see if the E3 will meter well out of the 650.

E3 metered fine for me in my 650.

Good to know RDA, some guys had said that it didn't.

I loaded 1,000 rounds of 9mm with it, it never varied more than +- 0.1 grains and was probably consistently less than 1/2 that variance. I set up my drop using tests of 5 and 10 drops typically to get the average I am looking for. My Dillon small powder measure is new in the past year and I do use the failsafe rod and a dryer sheet wrapped around the hopper.

• 4 weeks later...