Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taran Tactical M&P extended base pads

dpollard

Starting to get into USPSA shooting more seriously. I have an M&P 40 and recently purchased the Taran Tactical extended base pads along with the power springs. First time out with them my gun starting mis-feeding, which it has never has done with the factory mags. I sent the magazines along with the base pads and springs to Taran Tactical and they said they'd get them working. Got the magazines back and was able to shoot them today for the first time. Still had feeding issues. Is anyone else running these on their M&P 40 and are they working for you? Someone at the match mentioned it may be from having dirty mags. Is this a matter of not having a clean magazine? They only started mis-feeding later in the match after having dropped the mags for reloads a few times, although, I've never cleaned the factory mags mid-match. For what these cost I'd expect better performance but I want to rule out any error on my part before going back to Taran Tactical.

Edited by dpollard

I built my M&P 40 for Limited and have the same TT base pads. I originally used the supplied "extra power" springs, but found that they lost their tension when I was stuffing a full 20 rounds in them. Did a stretch/pull on the springs, and starting running 19. However, after a few stages, an over used mag would do an occasional mis-feed when about 3-4 rnds remained in the mag.

Last two matches, I put back the factory 15 rnd S&W springs (with a stretch/pull), (19 rnds), and haven't had any issues so far. I base the need to stretch and pull based on putting in an empty mag, and pulling the slide back and seeing if the slide stop goes ALL the way up into the slide/notch. If not, stretch/pull.

One other thing, I polished the barrel's feed ramp to a mirror finish (KKM).

Dave

A-Hatchling_7.jpg

Thanks for the replies! Awfaxis, when you say stretch/pull do you literally mean you pull on the ends of the spring to stretch it out?

I know it sounds kinky, right? There's probably some reason that doing it is going to cause problems, but at least they are holding up better than the TT's. This weekend, I did a Sunday USPSA match, and just before, shot about 500 rds in practice. Didn't have to do anything to them as they passed the slide test.

Not a spring expert but stretching springs is about the worst thing you can do to them in terms of longevity. It might temporarily help but it won't last. Then again, if a spring is not working correctly, you don't have much to lose anyway.

I wonder what brand springs the TT extensions come with? I do have one TT extension, but already had an Arredono extension on that mag, so I just swapped extensions and kept the spring from the other kit in there. Do they come with the Wolf Xtra power springs or another brand?

I run the TT pads on my 4.25 .40 and they work just fine. As a few posters have said just make sure and clean them out when they hit the ground. It is a bit of a pain in the arse but a heck of a lot better than tanking a stage because you were too lazy to do it or "only STI mags need cleaning". I was running some of the wolf springs that came with my TF pads but switched away to the springs that come with the TT pads and I can get the 20th round in without nearly as much force and I like the fact that the TT springs have the little base pad retainer bend on the end of them. I went about 6 months on my first set of springs in the two mags I use every stage so ~180 stages not counting practice and then replaced them with some replacements I got from TT.

I bought the basepads from Speed Shooters and also bought the springs from them. I beleive they were ISMI springs and they did not have the bends in them to hook into the follower. After I sent the basepads into TT and they returned them to me I noticed the springs had bends in them and were hooked into the follower. I'm wondering if TT switched out the power springs I ordered and replaced them with different ones or if the bent the ones I sent in. I don't know...I just ordered a brush so for the next match I will clean the mags everytime they hit the ground and see if that fixes the problem.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the basepads from Speed Shooters and also bought the springs from them. I beleive they were ISMI springs and they did not have the bends in them to hook into the follower. After I sent the basepads into TT and they returned them to me I noticed the springs had bends in them and were hooked into the follower. I'm wondering if TT switched out the power springs I ordered and replaced them with different ones or if the bent the ones I sent in. I don't know...I just ordered a brush so for the next match I will clean the mags everytime they hit the ground and see if that fixes the problem.

Are you still having issues? Keep in mind, Speed Shooter's doesn't use the springs that we make with the pad ( which is why the spring was different ).

Are you still having issues? Keep in mind, Speed Shooter's doesn't use the springs that we make with the pad ( which is why the spring was different ).

The issue seems to have been fixed with the newer springs installed by TTI. Just wish I hadn't spent $40 on power springs that don't work.

I've ran them in my 9mm with no issues....but I've never used them on a .40 so I really can't say. And I do clean the inside of the mags...but only after a long day of shooting

post-48412-0-60855400-1398199757_thumb.j

Edited by jriggs

I have the same set up but for the 9mm(M&P & 9mm XDM) & I have had no issues. I just installed and used. No jams, hiccups at all. About the only thing different I did was that I took the mags apart and applied frog lube to mag and new springs. Im going on my 6th match with them so ive dropped them quite a bit and no issues. Am not sure if frog lube is the answer but its what I did. Good luck.

The issue seems to have been fixed with the newer springs installed by TTI. Just wish I hadn't spent $40 on power springs that don't work.

Awesome! Give us a call in the future, and for anyone else reading this thread looking for a troubleshoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed (5) TTI pads & springs on new M&P mags in March.

5 matches and numerous practice sessions w a CORE and a Pro with zero malfunctions. Only wipe off dropped mags, all have performed 100%.