Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choate mag tube for 1187

GTOSHootr

Which follower do you use? (Brownells, Remington, Choate, Wilson) Sometimes I can't load more than 5 shells, even with my 8 or 10 round tubes. Yes, I completely removed the "dimples". The follower (even a polished one) doesn't move through the tube smoothly. Has anyone tried smoothing the inside of the mag tube with a hone?

Steve

If the follower doesn't move past the dimples area, then you haven't gotten enough area remove. If it hangs elsewhere in the tube you've probably got a dented tube. I had to make to oblong holes to completely remove the dimples, not just drill them.

I oblonged the dimple holes a little to completely remove them and then polished the area completely. The problem I had most recently was when I tried a Wilson steel follower. It wouldn't even slide through the tube when it was disassembled. The OEM plastic follower moved freely in the tube but still only allowed 5 shells. That was when I noticed the roughness of a weld bead running inside the length of the tube. I was wondering if anyone had done anything about that roughness.

I see no dents in the tube.

Thanks for the response Cking.

Has anyone tried the tube by Dave's Metal Works that is sold through Shooter's Connection?

I have a 10 rd DMW tube and I like it alot. I bought it directly from DMW. One thing that makes it better, IMO, is DMW uses a metal plug in the end. I have seen a Choate plastic plug pop out during a reload.

What is sounds like to me is that the extension tube itself is not seating flush up against your mag tube, because the tube was not seated correctly when it was assembled to the screw cap. I have seen this several times in a Choate tube. You can turn/file down the end of the mag extension screw cap a little at a time until it fits right. One way to test this to run a stiff wire down the tube from the receiver end and see if it grabs or catches at the seam where the tubes join together.

• 3 months later...

I am looking at buying an extension tube for my 870 and am wondering what people have found to be the best company or if there is even a noticeable difference. I am looking at Wilson, Tacstar, and Choate.

Thanks,

David

I am looking at buying an extension tube for my 870 and am wondering what people have found to be the best company or if there is even a noticeable difference.  I am looking at Wilson, Tacstar, and Choate. 

Thanks,

David

After messing with the Choate a lot, I finally spent the money and bought the DMW tube from Shooters Connection (see dealer's forum) and my problems went away.

• 1 month later...

I left the dimples in, sort of. I found a 11/16 socket that barely fit into main tube, by using this as a madrell, i was able to completely eliminate the dimples, but I have no holes.

As for the follower, I have used the original plastic one, a new High visibility follower and currently have a stainless follower from Brownells.

Jim

Which follower is best?

Without a doubt, it's the one you make yourself out of delrin. Much better than anything else I've tried so far (factory, Brownell's, and aluminum homebrew job)

One of these days I'm going to get some teflon and give that a whirl.