Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi! Im new, and HOW does this sound?

DefiantMenace

Hello everyone!

I have always wanted to do my own reloading so I purchased a dillon 550b, carbide dies, some powder( I could only get titegroup) and a scale.

So I am about to make my first reloads, I figured I would make 10 of these to see how they would do.

**Also I have read almost cover to cover the Lyman 48th edition, and countless thread here, so what do you think about this for a first go?

Berrys 115gr 9mm round nose (plated)

3.9 grains of titegroup

OAL 1.120

Winchester small pistol primer

recycled winchester 9mm brass

Gun used is a glock 19

I had a bit of trouble finding accutate data on this particular setup, so I made some calls, did some reading and this is what I came up with. If you have already gone down this road or know of a better method please let me know, thanks!

Might be a little light of a charge but not a bad place to start most shooters go with a heavier bullet in 9mm.

Is this for competition and if so do you know about powerfactor?

You are lucky to find TG I know some shooters that would trade a 2011 for some LOL.

If you have not visited here http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol do and you will find your answer. But in looking at the data 3.9gr is the starting load for the 115LRN and the berry's is is basically that with some shiny on it.

Do you have a Chrono? Sure is nice to have when developing loads.

Might be a little light of a charge but not a bad place to start most shooters go with a heavier bullet in 9mm.

Is this for competition and if so do you know about powerfactor?

I would not of bought the 115g, but I was given a few hundred by a friend who didnt want to use them. I am not shooting competition, just practice at the range. I was thinking it would be light, but for a first run better be safe, would rather it not cycle completly than explode LOL

Thanks for the reply

Welcome,

As mentioned, that's on the low end. Make sure that bullet clears the barrel and hit the paper before firing another round.

I do hope you have at least one good loading manual, a Lyman's is a great one to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloading-Handbook-49th-Edition/dp/B001FBFW6U

You may want to try some heavier bullets, 124gr, 135gr and 147gr. They tend to be less "snappy" than the 115gr bullets.

If might want to check out Hodgdon's website for load info.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Good luck!

You are lucky to find TG I know some shooters that would trade a 2011 for some LOL.

If you have not visited here http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol do and you will find your answer. But in looking at the data 3.9gr is the starting load for the 115LRN and the berry's is is basically that with some shiny on it.

Do you have a Chrono? Sure is nice to have when developing loads.

I looked on their site, I could only find the data for JHP. However my search skills leave much to be desired. I found the TG at cabellas 2 days ago, they also had about 500 boxes of 9mm for 13.99 a box. Went back today for a scale and everything was gone! Hopefully the hording will subside soon :(

Welcome,

As mentioned, that's on the low end. Make sure that bullet clears the barrel and hit the paper before firing another round.

I do hope you have at least one good loading manual, a Lyman's is a great one to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloading-Handbook-49th-Edition/dp/B001FBFW6U

You may want to try some heavier bullets, 124gr, 135gr and 147gr. They tend to be less "snappy" than the 115gr bullets.

If might want to check out Hodgdon's website for load info.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Good luck!

HI! Yes I have the lymans 48th(which I have read). I got the berrys for free, so I am going to use them up and then move to 124 or 135, unless I manage to blow myself up that is HAHAHA I was a little concerned with the OAL at 1.120

I pressed one and it seems pretty short compared to the factory Winchester.

The trick for most new reloaders is getting the OAL set for their gun/mag with a certain bullet,

and setting the crimp enough without overdoing it.

If you read some of the posts here on BE ... Forums ... Reloading .... 9mm

you'll find lengthy descriptions of how to do both. :cheers:

The plated bullets need just enough crimp to get rid of the "bell" you created for seating the bullet.

Make sure your finished cartridge fits flush in the chamber of your barrel. (Field strip the gun and use your barrels chamber to make sure they fit OK.)

Here's a helpful link for COL.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131

The trick for most new reloaders is getting the OAL set for their gun/mag with a certain bullet,

and setting the crimp enough without overdoing it.

If you read some of the posts here on BE ... Forums ... Reloading .... 9mm

you'll find lengthy descriptions of how to do both. :cheers:

Hi, and thanks for the response.

I have found setting the dies on the dillon to be pretty easy, or at least it seems so.

Setting the OAL doesnt seem to be a problem, knowing the correct OAL is still in the beta stages as far as my round is concerned, I will report back after i have fired a few.

Crimping, I followed the instructions and read a lot, basically I set my crimp in stages using the minimum crimp possible. I basically just used the caliper on the round to check the size and then crimped it down to the point that it would no longer move when I pushed the bullet in(and or banged it on the workbench). The Caliper of course told me if it moved or not.

The plated bullets need just enough crimp to get rid of the "bell" you created for seating the bullet.

Make sure your finished cartridge fits flush in the chamber of your barrel. (Field strip the gun and use your barrels chamber to make sure they fit OK.)

Here's a helpful link for COL.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131

Thanks for the link, thats very helpful :)

The trick is setting the crimp.

knowing the correct OAL is still in the beta stages .

I crimped it to the point it would no longer move when I pushed the bullet in

If you read some of the old posts, there's an alpha way to determine your correct OAL. :cheers:

Crimp has nothing to do with bullet push back - Likes to Shoot has graciously given

you the link to determining your best crimp. :bow:

Good luck with it. :cheers:

The trick is setting the crimp.

knowing the correct OAL is still in the beta stages .

I crimped it to the point it would no longer move when I pushed the bullet in

If you read some of the old posts, there's an alpha way to determine your correct OAL. :cheers:

Crimp has nothing to do with bullet push back - Likes to Shoot has graciously given

you the link to determining your best crimp. :bow:

Good luck with it. :cheers:

I was actually just reading the formula for correct OAL thanks to another post,

I thought the crimp or lack of crimp caused bullet push back when chambering........

Also Im not sure how one graciously gives information in a public place where people are gathered for the sole purpose of exchanging information becuase they all share a common love of something.

Edited by DefiantMenace

Well I am about to head to the end of the road and test these out, if you dont hear from me again it was nice knowing you HAHAHA. But seriouly if I die, thanks for the help.

I finalized the batch with this recipe

berrys 115gr plated 9mm

4.0 grains of titegroup

OAL of 1.133

Hopefully reporting back soon :)

Well ok guys and gals...... If you have yourself some titegroup(4 grains), berrys 115gr bullets, some brass of some sort with primers you have a round that functions just fine.

I made up 20 rounds, I had no failures of any kind(ftf fte). Also I had no accuracy issues with these rounds, I was the same pretty good shot with them as I am with the factory loads. The only thing I noticed was in firing the factory WWB after that was my hand loads were a little light.

I am going to put these into production at 4.2 grains for the next lot. so my final on this plinking round will be

9mm berrys 115gr

4.2 grains of titegroup

1.133 OAL

Thanks for all of your help :)

Edited by DefiantMenace

DefiantMenace...Looks like I'm a little late to the party but here's my TG recipe using 115 grns Berry's RN plated: 4.2 grns Titegroup with a COL @ 1.135. Shot out of my S&W SD9VE it averages 1078 fps.

Thats almost exactly the same as mine :) See two posts up

Edited by DefiantMenace

I shot 250 of these today with the final recipe, everything worked really well. In 250 rounds the only hiccup was the slide locked back one time with the last round left in the Magazine. They are not quite as perky as the factory WWB ammo, but they fly straight and work nicely :)

9mm berrys 115gr (.356) round nose

4.2 grains of titegroup

1.133 OAL

Winchester recycled brass

glock 19 (all factory)

Edited by DefiantMenace

I shot 250 of these today with the final recipe, everything worked really well. In 250 rounds the only hiccup was the slide locked back one time with the last round left in the Magazine. They are not quite as perky as the factory WWB ammo, but they fly straight and work nicely :)

4.2 grains of titegroup

1.33 OAL

glock 19 (all factory)

sounds good. I think you possibly mean 1.133 not 1.33 for OAL. 1.33 is way long for 9mm. :)

just thought it worth clearing up for anyone who wants to try your recipe...

Berry's is on my list of bullets to try next, but with the 124gr. I too use TG and at the moment I have SnS 124gr coated loaded up. Haven't shot them yet, hoping tomorrow will big that big day. Glad to see your recipe worked great!!

4.2 grains of titegroup

1.33 OAL

glock 19 (all factory)

sounds good. I think you possibly mean 1.133 not 1.33 for OAL. 1.33 is way long for 9mm. :)

just thought it worth clearing up for anyone who wants to try your recipe...

Hey great catch! Yes that is what I meant :-P

Fixed it, thanks

Edited by DefiantMenace

Berry's is on my list of bullets to try next, but with the 124gr. I too use TG and at the moment I have SnS 124gr coated loaded up. Haven't shot them yet, hoping tomorrow will big that big day. Glad to see your recipe worked great!!

I am going to be doing some 124gr after im done with the 115s I have now. Let me know how it goes and what ur recipe worked out being :-)

Oh and Goodluck tomorrow!

Edited by DefiantMenace

Soooooooooo.....how did it go?