Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell for XDM 5.25

mr0ldie

I have an XDm9 and I shoot USPSA Limited (I also plan to get into 3-gun; having a 9mm doesn't bother me). I'm getting a magwell and I'm planning to get the PistolGear Operator or UnLimited. Is there a noticeable advantage to using the UnLimited vs Operator and are there any drawbacks to having the UnLimited that I may want to consider in advance getting into 3-gun? I don't shoot IDPA so that isn't a concern. I'm leaning toward the Operator currently but I'd love to hear what others think.

(I currently have the PRP ultimate match trigger and I'm adding PRP grip tape--just to list off what I've already done and where I'm going. I will be adding mag extensions as well to accommodate the magwell.)

Thanks for the advice.

I was in the same spot as you. I wanted a mag well for my xdm 5.25 9mm and was between the same 2. I settled on the operator and have no complaints. It is a little smaller but works great for reloads and a more secure grip. It is easy to remove if for some reason I want to shoot production. One thing I wish is that it was heavier. I have a canyon Creek on my xdm 5.25 .40 and like the extra weight.

I've had the Pistol Gear operator on one of my XDM's and frankly wasn't real impressed with it. It didn't match the frame real well and it's a pain to remove if you want to use the gun for something else. My new 5.25 has the Dawson ice magwell on it and it's way nicer than the pistol gear. Loads slicker, feels better and has more weight. You can replace the insert if it gets beat up. Works perfectly with my Canyon Creek extensions. Costs more, but worth it in my opinion.

I second what Marv says, I had the operator for a while and it works, but if you don't hit the hole perfectly it can hang up on reloads. It's just aluminum. I switched to a Dawson Ice as well and love it. The polymer insert is awesome and slick, and if it gets beat up, swap it out.

Rich's stuff is great. Only problem is it's permanent, they are epoxied on. Can't remove it if you want to shoot SSP or Production later down the road. Just something to keep in mind. The Dawson can be removed quickly. And my 5.25 is from Rich and shoots awesome. His work and products are excellent

Edited by Marv Z

I'm gonna 3rd or 4th the pistol gear complaint. It leave ledges all around where it doesn't match up to the frame, I blended mine. It will trap the mag at certain angles. When dawson restocks his I will grab one. I have yet to not love something he made so I will roll with the magwell to go with the toolless basepads I have.

That gives you another reason to buy an additional gun. I have a pistol for every division I shoot. I do not like to change my pistol once I set it up for a particular division. just sayin

That gives you another reason to buy an additional gun. I have a pistol for every division I shoot. I do not like to change my pistol once I set it up for a particular division. just sayin

So do I, but it makes a big difference if you ever want to sell or trade it. Guns that are restricted to one class or division are a lot harder to move than ones that are not. I had my XDM .40 4P limited gun for sale here for 3 months with no takers because of the magwell. Finally sold it locally for a lot less than I paid for it. Especially with a 9mm. Nobody wants to shoot limited minor. It's elther ESP or 3 Gun. Trust me, I've been there. Could be worse though, it could be a FNH. I had to give away the last two I owned

Edited by Marv Z

Well I don't plan on selling them. For a limited XDM Rich's magwell is the best option IMO. I have a pistol gear magwell on my IDPA gun and it works, but again Rich's is the way to go for a limited gun, I also like the weight of the SS over the aluminum.

Totally agree about Rich's stuff. I'm on my second 4P 5.25 9mm as I regretted selling my first one so bad. Just trying to point out options to The OP as not all people are as flush with firearms as we are. No arguments here.....

I also have the Dawson magwell and love it. It only takes a couple minutes to take it off if I wanted to shoot production. You don't have to wait for it to be in stock. If you order it they will make it. The only downside is the fact you can no longer seat a stock mag so make sure you order plenty of extended basepads.