Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X rails ? Yes or no

LIKE2SHOOT

Except the one time I incorrectly manipulated the XRAIL while loading before a stage, I didn't have functional problems at the few matches I shot where I used it. It was on my 26" Versa Max.

At the time, Tec Loaders were essentially unavailable so I was loading it up and using Load Two as needed. In your case, it might not be such a big deal if you can load quickly in transition from one area of targets to another.

In the end, the gun balance was "off" just enough to make me decide to try a mag loaded shotgun.

• 2 months later...

Used a Benelli M2 with an XRail on it last week. Belonged to a friend and he let me use it. I was impressed with it. I'll be saving up for one myself.

The only issue he had with it was due to the Benelli and not an issue with the XRail itself. Not sure of the M1 would have the same problem or not. Due to all the extra weight added to the gun it would short stroke every once in a while. He switched to some higher velocity ammo and that went away. My ammo was 1200fps and just didn't feed reliably. He had some 1290fps ammo that worked well. he said that he read online that you could swap out the recoil spring for a lighter one and it would fix the problem. Should see him next week at the match and I'll see if it did fix his issue.

My gun is gas operated not inertia, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

I always run 1300 fps 1 1/8 oz loads in my Xrail Benelli. Anything less is rolling the dice.

That's about what worked in his. 1290 fps and 1 1/8 oz loads. he was planning to try some faster loads this week.

1350 FPS is the only thing that will cycle my m1 with the Xrail on it.

A standard M1 needs about 50 fps hotter shells compared to an M2 to cycle. Less flex in the stock and buttpad in an M1. Remember the inertia system starts working when the gun moves rearward. If the gun doesn't move rearward nothing will cycle.

yes. XRail runs good as long as you keep the screws tight.

What happens if the screws aren't tight?
I've had two issues. First the little detent that stops the housing from rotating when the primary is empty came loose. I'd have to reach out and twist the housing and that would get the gun cycling. The reach out at twist usually solves all the feeding or miss alignment issues I've had.

Worst case scenario you shoot the gun long enough with the screws loose and you will stress the coupler that holds the XRail to the receiver. Mine broke which literally had the gun break into two pieces on the clock throwing 25 rounds really fast over my shoulder.

Make sure you tighten and retighten and use loctite.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Another good Xrail top that Mark taught me was that if you ever need to load but your not sure how many rounds are in the current tube you can simply reach up and rotate the housing back to an empty tube then load away. That can be really handy for select a slug loads.

Another good Xrail top that Mark taught me was that if you ever need to load but your not sure how many rounds are in the current tube you can simply reach up and rotate the housing back to an empty tube then load away. That can be really handy for select a slug loads.

That was one of the things I was worried about. Never thought of that.