Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Quad Caddie

Hey Oskino I spend a lot of time in Southport NC (on the coast) not too far from the SC boarder, are there any 3 gun club matches in SC near the NC boarder?

not that I am aware of I shoot at Walnut grove 3 gun and I also shoot at Flat Rock 3 gun

http://walnutgrove3gun.webs.com/

Flat Rock is located in Hendersonville N.C.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What size dowel rod is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought it a while ago and believe it is 3/4 got it from Home Depot, the trick with the dowel is to drill a hole at one of the ends straight as possible. Then screw in a screw that sticks out so that you can grab it with a cordless drill. Then what I did is got sandpaper and sanded the dowel down but just turning on the drill, hope that makes sense. You want the dowel to be a smaller diameter than the shell itself so it will have good retention when you make the clips. I need to do a video so you guys can see how easy this is and how good they really are.

Edited by Oskino

• 11 months later...

Are you still using .080" Kydex? What is the width of the flat piece glued to the dowel? What is your final OD of the dowel after you have sanded it down? Great thread and thanks for sharing your accomplishments!

yes that is what I used and for the dowel... get a screw and screw it into the center of the end of the dowel with the screw still sticking out. Then get a drill and tigthen it around the screw so all you have to do is hold sand paper and activate the drill to spin the dowel to get the diameter slightly smaller than a 12 gauge shell.

Edited by Oskino

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hey Oskino

Thank You for this awesome idea. Although this topic is old. I mainly shoot pistol but I find Shotgun IPSC fun and relaxing. I'm not from the States, so getting Kydex is a bit logistically time consuming, already ordered mine with Lok Tek-s and cannot wait to recieve my packages.

How have your caddies been holding up?

It is a bit too sad that You did not make the video about making the clips. Maybe anyone else can give me extra suggestions on the recommended methods, so that I would not end up wasting Kydex (yeah, material is cheap, but shipping to my location is a rip-off). Making baseplates on lower clips, so that cartridges would not fall out while running seem to be a bit challenging. Did You make these in one run, or did you have to melt Kydex again to get them?

Would not be surprised if thist topic is dead, but still hoping for some feedback.

Stay safe!

DVC