Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stag 3G FTFeed issues

fireman489

Yesterday at the 3GN SE regional my Stag 3G decided it was a great time to start FTFeed on me. When I say FTFeed I mean it would'nt go fully into battery. After the 2nd stage(6th FTF) we took it apart & made sure everything was clean (it was) & things looked correct. They did . On the 3rd stage & after my 9th time (in 3 stages) clearing the malfunction, my buddies were able to retrieve 2 of my rounds. They looked like 2 big gouge marks in the brass & the entire round was bent ..... visibly bent.

The only changes Ive made were,

1 new comp

2 mounted optic

3 new Hyperfire 24E trigger

I spoke w the Stag rep today & he thinks it could have something to do with the new Hyperfire trigger. Im not convinced of that as I ran 100 flawless rounds through it at home then another 75 or so on day one. Plus this has happened a few times early on w the original Giessele S3G in it.

FYI , It happened w 2 different mags and Ive only run PMC Bronze or XM193 in it.

Anyone experience this before ??

Any ideas what it could be ??

Thanks in advance guys & gals

Seems like short stroking to me. Bolt carrier is going back just far enough to push the bolt lugs into the brass and forcing the dents. I would check gas block alighnment/adjustment and work back.

Seen that happen with low powered ammo.

Would set up a few mags with single round each of the weakest ammo you plan on running, say PMC, and see if bolt locks back. If not then short stroking. Problem is either a gas leak or excessive friction, unless you have an adjustable gas block that has been turned down too much. A too strong recoil spring or too heavy a buffer can do this too, but I assume you have not changed those items.

Gas leak can happen at gas block, carrier key or bolt rings, if they are worn.

Excess friction can come from insufficient lube. Would also check to make sure no interference from new fire control group.

Easy to check the gas rings; pull bolt forward and stand complete bolt carrier on bolt. If bolt collapses into bolt carrier from weight of carrier, then rings need to be replaced.

How many rounds through the system, and was the Stag well lubed?

Would check gas key bolts to make sure they are tight, look for deposits showing gas leakage at gas block interface to gas tube and barrel. Wonder if gas tube is clear of any partial obstruction. Easy enough to remove, blow through it or replace if rifle has a lot of rounds through it. Would clean inside of receiver extension and action spring. Would definitely try the bolt lock back exercise with single loaded mags, and consider trying a lighter buffer, altough it would be best to diagnose the problem.

The rifle was purchased new & Ive put right at 700 rounds through it ...

Spoke w Adam from Stag today, he wants me to ship it up, so shes in the box now, waiting on shipping label.

I will post results when I hear something .

Thanks for the suggestions & help folks !