Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b - Station 2 concern

I bought a new 550b a few years ago. The first few thousand, everything ran very well.

Since then though, my cases in Station 2 are not always standing up straight. Maybe one in ten, the case will be maybe 10-15 degrees from vertical and the powder funnel will come down on the lip. I’ll push the handle back (up) and usually the case will tip into a vertical position. Sometimes it won't and I'll have to nudge the case.

It’s puzzling because I have not changed anything. All I’ve ever loaded is 9mm… same mixed cases… same One Shot… same HP38 even.

I took the shell plate off last week and cleaned the heck out of everything, figuring there might be some sort of gunk causing the problem. But no, I put it back together and still have cases that don’t stand up straight, maybe 10% of the time.

Like I said, I’ve never loaded anything but 9mm so the pins should be the right size.

Primers are flush. So the primers are not pushing the brass over.

You sure you have the shell plate tight enough? Check the set screw in the ram that holds the bolt to tighten the plate. Maybe worn and is causing the plate to loosen.

Just spitballing here but if the shell plate was not tight would that not affect all stations in a similar manor? If I am interpreting the op correctly its only station 2 thats affected.

You sure you have the shell plate tight enough? Check the set screw in the ram that holds the bolt to tighten the plate. Maybe worn and is causing the plate to loosen.

Just spitballing here but if the shell plate was not tight would that not affect all stations in a similar manor? If I am interpreting the op correctly its only station 2 thats affected.

Not necessarily, if he were only loading one round at a time. As far as I understand from dillon is that all stations need to be occupied to get most accurate loading due to possible movements in shell plate. I've tested this theory and it's true to and extent. But only maybe .002"+/- if single loading rounds. That's why I thought to check the powder die or funnel. I had a 45 ACP funnel that was giving me crap. And come to find out the funnel had debris stuck to it cause case issues I'm guessing it was old powder that had gotten caked on it.

Edited by XxWoodsHunterxX