Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping Handgun To Yourself At Out Of State Address

Planning to shoot a match in another state. Have business in another state the day before the match and will be flying in. Can I ship my gun to myself at a friends address?

The ATF site says yes, but you should always read the rules though. FEDx/UPS only.

Edited by lcs

Planning to shoot a match in another state. Have business in another state the day before the match and will be flying in. Can I ship my gun to myself at a friends address?

IMHO, you will be shipping it to your friend since it is his home and he will receive it.

I shipped a gun to my brother out of state and it REQUIRED using FFL to send and FFL to receive. I believe it's a federal law now.

Be careful.

Edited by bountyhunter

I got curious and did a little digging for you and it looks like you're good to go as long as you abide by the following...

From https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#shipping-firearms-additional

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Federal law requires you to inform the common carrier, if the package contains a firearm.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Federal law requires you to inform the common carrier, if the package contains a firearm.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

And the common carrier in NO WAY can mark the package that it contains a firearm. It is between you and the guy behind the counter.

• 3 weeks later...

This law is the same reason why you don't need to go through an FFL to return a gun for warranty work and why they can ship it directly back to you when its fixed.

Side note on this that almost screwed me on a trip home from MA last year. If you want to ship via UPS or FEDEX you have to ship from an actual hub, not a place like Kinkos or Mail Boxes Etc. that can facilitate normal UPS shipping. I almost missed a flight trying to find a place that would accept the shipment and getting through on a land line to a Fedex or UPS hub is virtually impossible.

Also keep in mind that the shipment will be sent "adult signature required" so if thats going to be a problem you can ship it with the arrangement for it to be held for pickup, by you, at the closest hub. The reason that may be a good idea is that if you find a hub close enough to pick it up in route then you also have a place to go when you need to send it back to yourself.