Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore reshoot & squad order question

furyalecto

It looked like there were a couple of threads I could post this in, but I wasn’t sure if they fit either exactly. I have looked a bit, but I am not finding definitive answers so I am asking. We are testing Practiscore for implementation at a couple of clubs. I may have missed something basic that someone can point out.

1st question: Is there a good way to differentiate a reshoot in Practiscore from a first shoot?

2nd question: Is there a good way to order shooters when there are reshoots? ((*Not a normal match issue.) I see that something may be in development for changing the way squadding/shooting orders works.)

The reshoot designation doesn’t seem like a bug, per se, so I wouldn’t think I would report it at practiscore.com/bugs, but if it would be appropriate, please let me know.

Club background for reshoot & squadding questions:

One club is an indoor one stage match where most people will reshoot once for match score & two or three or more times for fun.

One club is an outdoor match held over two days where people often shoot both days.

Some people only shoot one division & like shooting so they go both days.

Our customers would like to see the reshoots in the results (which they do, but they aren't sure which is which unless I am missing something) but they also want to know how their first run went so they know how they did for the match.

The indoor match has to flow very quickly to accommodate the customers & the reshoots needs to be staggered accordingly, hence the squadding order question. The match is also a club “league” match where only 1st shoots garner points for the year so we would like to replicate EZWinScore’s reshoot checkbox somehow.

In doing some test runs I am not seeing reshoots as marked any different than first runs in the results or in the shooter list. (The easiest way I can see for shooting order for the indoor match is to put them on a different squad for reshoots & use paper or some other method to generate the shooting order.)

That was probably a whole lot of gibberish at this point in the night. Please let me know if I can better explain.

Huge thanks for Practiscore & rootnscoreit!

1st question: Is there a good way to differentiate a reshoot in Practiscore from a first shoot?

On iOS a log is kept of all score edits. That's coming in Android. Once in both we will add a "use this score", which will by default be the last.

Would that suffice?

2nd question: Is there a good way to order shooters when there are reshoots? ((*Not a normal match issue.) I see that something may be in development for changing the way squadding/shooting orders works.)

Exactly - that is intended as part of our open squadding changes and will be generally available. It sounds like you are mixing regular squadding, for the main match, and open squadding afterwards for fun shooting. True?

If so, perhaps just have an extra tablet devoted to scoring the fun stuff in context of the original synched match.

The reshoot designation doesn’t seem like a bug, per se, so I wouldn’t think I would report it at practiscore.com/bugs, but if it would be appropriate, please let me know.

One club is an indoor one stage match where most people will reshoot once for match score & two or three or more times for fun.

One club is an outdoor match held over two days where people often shoot both days.

Our customers would like to see the reshoots in the results (which they do, but they aren't sure which is which unless I am missing something) but they also want to know how their first run went so they know how they did for the match.

The indoor match has to flow very quickly to accommodate the customers & the reshoots needs to be staggered accordingly, hence the squadding order question. The match is also a club “league” match where only 1st shoots garner points for the year so we would like to replicate EZWinScore’s reshoot checkbox somehow.

I confess to using ezWS not much, or a lot but shallow is better way to describe.. what does the [ ] reshoot checkbox do?

In doing some test runs I am not seeing reshoots as marked any different than first runs in the results or in the shooter list. (The easiest way I can see for shooting order for the indoor match is to put them on a different squad for reshoots & use paper or some other method to generate the shooting order.)

That was probably a whole lot of gibberish at this point in the night. Please let me know if I can better explain.

On iOS a log is kept of all score edits. That's coming in Android. Once in both we will add a "use this score", which will by default be the last.

Would that suffice?

I apologize, but I don't know if that will. More below near the bottom in bold about ezwin reporting reshoots.

Exactly - that is intended as part of our open squadding changes and will be generally available. It sounds like you are mixing regular squadding, for the main match, and open squadding afterwards for fun shooting. True?

Unfortunately not. All the squadding is mixed together for the indoor initial & reshoots.

For squadding we have shooter 1, 2, 3, 4, shooter 1's 2nd run, shooter 2's second run, Shooter 5, 6, shooter 4's second run, shooter 3's 2nd run, Shooter 7, 8, Shooter 5's second run & so on. This is so people get in & out as efficiently as possible & still run 40 to 70 people shooting a single stage up to 120 times in a 3 hour or so period.

***This is not how most USPSA matches work & I am not too worried about that part of it. We will figure something out. The reshoot designation itself is the one I am interested in.

If so, perhaps just have an extra tablet devoted to scoring the fun stuff in context of the original synched match.

They would like to see the match scored together like EZWin does now if possible for ease of competition comparison.

I confess to using ezWS not much, or a lot but shallow is better way to describe.. what does the [ ] reshoot checkbox do?

***This allows you to generate results that include reshoots & they indicate that a shooter has shot a reshoot rather than a 1st run for match score similar to below even if it is another division. This is the part I am really interested in & I am surprised hasn't come up on more wish lists.

Place Name USPSA Class Division PF Lady Mil Law For Age Match Pts Match % 1 Shooter Dave TY***2 B Limited Major 471.0148 100.000% 2 Shooter Richard A*****1 B Limited Major 333.1419 70.729% 3 Shooter Carter A***3 B Limited Major Super Senior 332.1458 70.517% 4 Shooter Joel REENTRY B Limited Major 298.9576 63.471% 5 Shooter David REENTRY B Limited Major 271.5851 57.660%

I am guessing you are talking about match re-entries in the same or different division.

You can simply register shooter multiple times. To allow to differentiate one from another add R1, R2, etc to the first name and enter the same uspsa number for all of them if you want to export to ezws or post results to uspsa.

As long as you won't check "walkon" checkbox, PS won't be merging those multiple re-entries.

I am guessing you are talking about match re-entries in the same or different division.

You can simply register shooter multiple times. To allow to differentiate one from another add R1, R2, etc to the first name and enter the same uspsa number for all of them if you want to export to ezws or post results to uspsa.

As long as you won't check "walkon" checkbox, PS won't be merging those multiple re-entries.

I am talking about match re-entries.

That should be functional work around. We thought about that & were hoping to avoid it, but it is what it is. At least we know!

Your response is very much appreciated!

Don't you guys sleep? Go to sleep & reply tomorrow or the next day. Sheesh.

You could handle this the way that we do our practices. We build one stage for practice and then setup a nook with that stage setup multiple times as separate stages. That way each rerun of the stage goes onto a new stage in PS.

Brian

I think you need a reshoot checkbox (or preferably a query when registering a competitor a second time along the lines of "is this a re-entry?") so that the re-entry is clearly and programmatically marked as such instead of a R1...etc hack to the competitor's name. Ezwinscore already has this functionality (the query) and has had for a decade. We don't want to lose any scoring functionality as we move towards the "future".