Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 516 for 3-gun

perpetualn00b

• 1 month later...

SIG has a new version of the 516 with a CF handguard and buttstock. According to the specs it's 7.1lb (sans glass). I fondled it at the SIG Pro Shop on Saturday after the USPSA classifier match. I'm not a riffle guy but it didn't feel heavy to me. Again, I'm no expert but it balanced pretty well especially compared to some of the tacticool swiss-army-knife like quad rails I've played with.

Edited by blind bat

If it's the only way to get into the game then go for it.

My first year of competition was spent with a mildly modified AK that, generally speaking, was good at NONE of the things Finbox listed.

I was still consistently in the top 20% of a field of 150 shooters and I had an insane amount of fun trying to break into the top 10.

Now I'm using a rifle that excels at all the things Finbox listed, not really competing any closer to the top 10, and probably having slightly less fun because I'm realizing all my "errors" are my own, not my rifle's.Truth.

Finbin not many 3 gun ar, s ARs an honest and repeatable .5moa. Lots of talk about this but not much proof. Also a 3 gun rifle does not need to be .5moa when we shoot 4moa or larger targets. As for.14 second splits that is more a function of the shooter vs the gun. Not apiston fan myself but if that is what a shooter has or likes I say go for it

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 516, I don't use it for 3 gun though. If it was all I had sure I'd run it. It's a great running rifle once dialed in. Runs crap ammo and keeps on ticking... Hth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Use it, I ran a Sig 556 for 2 years in 3 gun before switching to an AR. If you are just shooting local matches it should serve you just fine if you put some good optics on it. I used a Tac30 and I worked well for me.

POPO, I agree, run what you have. But the OP does not have one yet.

I have run many guns just for fun at local matches even won one with a M-11 with a Lage upper!

Run what you got and have fun, but if you want a 3 gun rifle, get a platform than can be maxed out for the game.

For me my split times did not come down until I got a good break, JP low mass, and fast reset trigger. Can you get those for the Sig?

JP and nordic barrel, have easily been 1/2" for me.

POPO, I agree, run what you have. But the OP does not have one yet.

I have run many guns just for fun at local matches even won one with a M-11 with a Lage upper!

Run what you got and have fun, but if you want a 3 gun rifle, get a platform than can be maxed out for the game.

For me my split times did not come down until I got a good break, JP low mass, and fast reset trigger. Can you get those for the Sig?

JP and nordic barrel, have easily been 1/2" for me.

I bet Daniel Horner could. Its the Indian not the bow. I do agree in that I prefer a DI gas system myself at the rifle length.

Edited by Alaskapopo