Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 - Manual Safety question

blueorb

Couple of questions regarding manual safety on a CZ 75. I just recently learned to detail strip my gun and want to make sure I don't have an issue:

1) if the hammer is down should I be able to engage the safety? Currently, when my hammer is down, I can engage the safety. BUT, I can pull the trigger and the hammer contacts the firing pin enough to eject a pencil out of the barrel.

2) what if the hammer is in the half-cock position? Currently, when my hammer is at half-cock, I can engage my safety BUT I can still fire the gun (same as above re ejecting pencil out of the barrel).

At fully cocked position my safety can be engaged and works as intended (ie, cannot pull the trigger). So, no problem there.

Thanks,

it's a fitting issue. do you have a comp hammer fitted? generally you shouldn't be able to engage the safety with the hammer forward.

I can't remember what it does at half cock because I've never tried to engage it.

I'd say the safety needs some fitting work (or the sear does to fit the safety - either way).

CZ designed the safety to only block the sear. safety rotates up and blocks sear.

With the upgraded CZ comp hammer, the safety still blocks only the sear. Not the DA action which release ahead of the sear and hammer in SA.

Sometimes this will allow the safety to rotate up when the hammer is down or at half cock. Remember the safety only blocks the sear, not the trigger bar or disconnector.

so do not pull the trigger. this can cause damage to the action mechanism and the pistol.

from CZ:

Engaging the Safety Mode
Engage the safety mode only when the hammer is to the rear, which means that it is
cocked. Turn the safety upwards into the SAFE position so that the red dot is covered
(Fig. 3). The trigger mechanism and the slide are now blocked so it is not possible to
squeeze the trigger or move the slide.
Due to special adjustments of the trigger mechanism, the safety can be turned even if
the hammer is engaged by the safety notch or leaning against the firing pin plate. In these
cases it is FORBIDDEN to manipulate the hammer because violent pulling of the hammer
can damage the trigger mechanism.

Thank you Stuart. I was hoping you would chime in.

Question, I have pulled the trigger with the safety engaged (down hammer) twice. That's how I found out about this. What are the odds that I have damaged something? How to I check for any damage?

Thanks again.

2 questions. did you read the manual? and secondly, why are you trying all this weird stuff?!?

if not, go back to step 1 and read the manual. it does explain this (kind of).

Weird stuff? I was doing a safety check after detail stripping my gun for the first time. I was not expecting the safety to engage with the hammer down. Sue me...

Stuart - yes, the safety is still holding the sear and hammer in place. Thanks for the reponse.

lol, sorry didn't mean to sound like such a prick. :blush: my bad.

it does cover this in the manual under the safety operation, and it does say not to cock the hammer if your safety can be moved up with the hammer forward. :) it's always worth reading the manual even if you are very familiar with firearms. many of them have their little quirks.

Edited by BeerBaron