Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Defense/gaming gun question

Levy

I would like some advice. I have been shooting idpa for about two year and this year I have decided to get serious about shooting by doing dry fire and live fire practice. I also want to shoot more uspsa. I shoot a walther p99 da/sa in 9mm. It has a 4inch barrel. It is also my Home defense/ sometime carry gun. So here is the question. Is it ok to use it for the shooting sports and defense? Even though I will be putting 6000 to 10000 round throw it a year? Or should I go out and buy a dedicated gun for gaming? If so any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Shoot the defensive gun as much as possible. You wont wear that gun out in 10K rounds. I cannot speak directly of a walther since I do not personally own one, but they ARE well made and should be able to go 50K rounds EASY before major overhaul (barrel ect.) I think many (myself included) fail to shoot our defensive pistol as much as we should because we are working so much with our "game guns". If you wanted to buy a game gun, go for it, but there really is not a reason if you are happy with the p99. (also where do you shoot in IA?)

Edited by Nebwake

What class are you looking to shoot? Are you planning to mod your gun? Light trigger pull is great for shooting sports but a bad idea for a defense weapon. My advice is to get a dedicated gaming gun. I am a new USPSA shooter and went the low cost route. I bought a Glock G34 9mm and I am shooting Limited Minor. After changing the trigger, adding a magwell and mag extensions I knew I would not be using it for anything but competition. So far it has logged about 13k rounds and runs great.

I agree with other posters here. If it's mostly stock then I wouldn't hesitate to have it pull double duty.

I like to have my carry/home defense gun be the same general platform as my competition guns. When I shot a Glock 34 in used a 19 or 17 for carry. I have moved to CZs so my defense guns have changed as well.

I would say to shoot what you have for now and use the same for your home defense gun. If you shoot a lot then chances are very good that you will be buying a different gun for competition at which point the Walther can be dedicated HD.

The Walther could be very capable as a Production gun but I am guessing it's harder to find holsters, sights trigger modifications, and other extras than if you ran a Glock, M&P, or CZ.

In the meantime enjoy the sport and get all the Tigger time that you can.

One of the cool things about competing regularly is you get to learn a lot about what your favorite gun does under stress. Not only user stress (am I sticking my thumbs against the slide? Can I operate this trigger well enough at speed? How tough is it to feed this when it runs empty?) but mechanical stress -- grime, heat, and the like. You learn a little more about what wears how each time you clean, and how the gun works when it's got carbon and dirt on it.

Shoot the crap out of it without hesitation.

• 1 month later...