Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 3 gun which shotgun?

3djedi

If you really need to go cheap to get started, pick up a used 870 or Nova, install a tube and go. Then save up for an autoloader. And don't pimp out the AR until the shotgun is where you want it. Most AR's are going to run, and won't hold back a beginner, but an unreliable shotgun just takes fun right out of the game. JMHO.

Good advice. A Benelli Supernova with an extension will get you going until you can afford the shotgun you want. Then you will have a great back up or can sell it for a minimal loss.

Having already been down the 930 road i would throw in my 2 cents and say DONT. Even if it had not had problem after problem the constant cleaning (and its not a quick process) is a nightmare. After 200-300 rounds the carbon build up would be so bad it would start having light primer strikes due to the bolt not being able to seat fully (there are other threads out there explaining this exact issue better than my red-neck self can). Long story short i but the bullet and got a Benelli and could not possibly be happier. I went with the Vinci and it was a fantastic option. i have not had a single failure in over 2000 rounds, i was able to easily do any and all mod work due to the polymer stock and no serial number in a bad place. Recoil is minimal and its surprising since the shotgun is so light, my brother runs a VersaMax which weighs way more and the Vinci wins the recoil battle.

This makes some people mad, and I get hate mail, but I will still say it. If you buy an imported shotgun, and you want to add a tube, you should be aware of 922r compliance rules. For an M2, you need 4 US made parts replaced. Adding a tube is not replaced. Very few 3Gunners who run an M2 have a 922r compliant shotgun, but there are several who make sure to get the proper number of parts in their shotguns in order to be compliant.

This makes some people mad, and I get hate mail, but I will still say it. If you buy an imported shotgun, and you want to add a tube, you should be aware of 922r compliance rules. For an M2, you need 4 US made parts replaced. Adding a tube is not replaced. Very few 3Gunners who run an M2 have a 922r compliant shotgun, but there are several who make sure to get the proper number of parts in their shotguns in order to be compliant.

Is this like some sort of import tarriff restriction? Of course I've never heard of it, and on the surface seems silly, as I would think the guns would be compliant upon entry into US. I'm just curious here, not doubting. But I confess there is a lot of silly in some of our Federal statutes. Sorry for the hijack, and if you want to reply, you can PM.

Mark,

Just out of curiosity, does "US parts replaced" include mag spring, follower, barrel clamp, shell release, front sight, choke tubes, sling adaptors, recoil spring, magazine end cap, or anything like that? Or what parts are needed to replace. I hate to even comment on this as I think there is a drone cruising overhead the way it is.

18 USC 922r is a Federal regulation related to import restrictions on certain configurations. No foreign made shotgun can be imported with a capacity over 5 rounds. So essentially, unless it is properly "converted", it is an illegal firearm under Federal law when you just "add a tube". If you added it, there could be two charges. The foreign made guns are imported with a reduced capacity and they are relaying on you to make them suitable for 3Gun knowing full well it is against the law. Not that I think it is a good law in any sense. For some, they know and don't care. For me, a Federal firearms charge would deprive me of my professional licenses and I could not feed my family. Not a risk I will even take for a hobby.

Here is a short explanation: https://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Mark,

Just out of curiosity, does "US parts replaced" include mag spring, follower, barrel clamp, shell release, front sight, choke tubes, sling adaptors, recoil spring, magazine end cap, or anything like that? Or what parts are needed to replace. I hate to even comment on this as I think there is a drone cruising overhead the way it is.

I spent quite a bit of time researching this with an ATF agent, partly because of a part we were considering producing. My understanding is it has to be an integral part and present on the as imported configuration. Springs and sights don't count, nor would a barrel clamp, tube extension, sling adapter. Followers, as long as they are not on a detachable magazine, hammers, etc, are the parts that do count.

There is debate as to whether or not a conversion can be performed by the owner, or if it has to be a FFL holder and the conversion recorded. This has to do with the "assemble" language and another part of the USC that then requires a serial number. The conversion is only necessary if you add capacity that takes a shotgun over 5 rounds, whether in a magazine or a tube. It is confusing, so my suggestion is to ask the ATF if you are not positive.

I do believe there is some exemption for LE/Mil, but I have no documentation of such.

Edited by MarkCO