Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

California Legal

3gunfanatic

I know this has been covered but it doesn't look like it has been recently. How do shooters like Mike Voight, Tarran Butler and the rest who live in California get around the bans and restrictions? My brother would like to start in 3 Gun, there are ranges that offer it in San Diego, Ventura and other counties. I've been trying to find a used AR for him but this is turning out to be much more difficult than I thought. It looks like Governor Brown just signed the ban on bullet buttons so what is legal? Does anybody on the forum live in CA?

The two you mentioned may have Assault Weapons permits as FFL's. Other CA residents can go featureless which is easy for guns in our sport because it pretty much just means a non-pistol grip (i.e. Kydex fin wrap, Monsterman, or Exile Hammerhead), no flash hider (we use a comp for our sport), fixed stock (common in our sport i.e. A1/A2), no forward pistol grip, no other 'evil' features.

Bullet buttons are still legal in CA. Brown signed no such legislation and actually vetoed it. Regardless, bullet buttons are pointles for our sport because it is slow.

The bigger issue is magazine limits. Unless you owned ones before the CA ban, you're limited to 10-rounders.

Edited by bagdrag

The two you mentioned may have Assault Weapons permits as FFL's. Other CA residents can go featureless which is easy for guns in our sport because it pretty much just means a non-pistol grip (i.e. Kydex fin wrap, Monsterman, or Exile Hammerhead), no flash hider (we use a comp for our sport), fixed stock (common in our sport i.e. A1/A2), no forward pistol grip, no other 'evil' features.

Bullet buttons are still legal in CA. Brown signed no such legislation and actually vetoed it. Regardless, bullet buttons are pointles for our sport because it is slow.

The bigger issue is magazine limits. Unless you owned ones before the CA ban, you're limited to 10-rounders.

BagDrag has it right on the money.

Regular people could have registered assault weapons (RAW) and had the regular capacity magazines before the California ban. This is how I have a regular AR and regular capacity magazines.

I've been shooting 3 gun before the ban. Taran and Voight were shooting 3 gun prior to that.

Law enforcement personnel have an exemption.

There are a couple of people who shoot the 10-round California division in Piru, Pala and West End. Have him shoot that. 10 round magazines for pistol and rifle. Bullet button semi-auto rifle. Or he can use a manually operated rifle (bolt action, lever action, pump action, etc.) without a Bullet Button in Piru and Pala. 8+1 or 9 total in the shotgun at start. No ports/comps with the shotgun or pistol.

3 gun is fun, but it's not worth going to jail.

Well does your brother have any magazines that were legal before the 10 round law came into effect? If you legally owned them before 2000 you are good to go. Just go down to the matches and check it out and see what everyone else is doing. Its pretty easy to get into the sport even here in Cali.

He had an AR and an AK years ago. He sold the AR in the 90's and the AK, an SLR95, was listed as non compliant. I still have it in my safe. I'm sure he has some old magazines around. He kept hide loading bench, always intending to buy them again but life (and kids) got in the way. They're both in college now and he'd like to compete. He has a shotgun and a pistol, the rifle is the hangup. How does having magazines help?

Well does your brother have any magazines that were legal before the 10 round law came into effect? If you legally owned them before 2000 you are good to go. Just go down to the matches and check it out and see what everyone else is doing. Its pretty easy to get into the sport even here in Cali.

how can you tell when the magazine were made? no serial number, no date of mfg. so how can law enforement tell you have illegal magazines?

how can you tell when the magazine were made? no serial number, no date of mfg. so how can law enforement tell you have illegal magazines?

Don't want to get caught with Pmags, Cproducts, Lancers, Surefires. Also no handgun mags for a gun introduced after 2000.

Don't want to get caught with Pmags, Cproducts, Lancers, Surefires. Also no handgun mags for a gun introduced after 2000.

Sure for the handguns although possession is not illegal and the burden of proof is on the state to prove you got them illegally. However, for rifle mags you can repair or rebuild older pre-ban mags (owned prior to the ban) into newer large cap mags (excepting the Surefire because it shares no parts with older GI mags).

Sure for the handguns although possession is not illegal and the burden of proof is on the state to prove you got them illegally. However, for rifle mags you can repair or rebuild older pre-ban mags (owned prior to the ban) into newer large cap mags (excepting the Surefire because it shares no parts with older GI mags).

I've never seen that in writing. Can you point out were it says that in the law(s)?

If you guys really want to learn about the California laws pertaining to guns, check out this website: calguns.net

It has a lot of information regarding RAW's, bullet buttons, magazine capacities and anything else pertaining to gun rights.