Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Pouches

Shooter115

Just curious what everyone's take on mag pouches for the XDm 9mm/.40. Been using the XDm for 3 years in both pistol and 3gun and keep going back to the factory supplied mag pouch even though I hate how the second mag is canted rearwards. What I do like is the fact they are canted slightly away from the body.

I have both Blade-tech and Comp-Tac mag pouches and I don't care for either of them. They both go too far up the mag and unless you get a perfect vertical pull they want to bind. The Comp-Tac's are a clip on design and will just pull right off my belt. The Blade-Tech's (with Teck-locs) which I just got are extremely tight and even with the screws backed all the way out try to rip my belt completely off.

Does anyone make a mag pouch that has a smooth release and is still tight enough to withstand the rigors of 3gun.

Just curious what everyone's take on mag pouches for the XDm 9mm/.40. Been using the XDm for 3 years in both pistol and 3gun and keep going back to the factory supplied mag pouch even though I hate how the second mag is canted rearwards. What I do like is the fact they are canted slightly away from the body.

I have both Blade-tech and Comp-Tac mag pouches and I don't care for either of them. They both go too far up the mag and unless you get a perfect vertical pull they want to bind. The Comp-Tac's are a clip on design and will just pull right off my belt. The Blade-Tech's (with Teck-locs) which I just got are extremely tight and even with the screws backed all the way out try to rip my belt completely off.

Does anyone make a mag pouch that has a smooth release and is still tight enough to withstand the rigors of 3gun.

I ended up keeping my xdm and since you bought my pouches I had to get new ones. I got 2 pieces of advice for you, I have heard if kydex pouches are too tight you can carefully heat them with a heat gun and wiggle a mag around in them for more space. If you want the perfect pouch you will want the daa aluminum race master, 60 bucks a pop but once you pull a mag out you will think it's the best money you ever spent, very very secure but feels like butter coming out. I ordered 2 from shooters connection Wednesday and they came in Thursday. Sry u don't like the blade techs.

A while back I entered 3-gun and used the Safariland IDPA discount to setup a new belt, mag pouch's and 3-gun bag for not much money. It looks like they're offering it again. I can't get the copy and paste to work but google Safariland and IDPA to see what it yields. The last time they offered that deal a few months later Safariland ran the same promo with USPSA.

I have DAA racer pouches at the moment. So far they are the ones I like best. I also have DAA universal mag pouches that have worked well for the past few years. The racer can angled, flipped for left or right hand. The belt clip does not move once you set it.

There are aluminum raver pouches and plastic ones for a lot less money. I have CR pouches as well, which I like except for the belt attachment.

Try ghost mag pouch. I've used it for the first time yesterday; and it's very good--smooth & has a great retention.

I also recommend the ghost 360 pouches. They're cheap (especially compared to DAA race masters), super simple, and have a good combination of retention and ease of release. I use them angled 90 degrees outward from the belt for USPSA, but they come with two bodies you so can either do that or have a more traditional parallel setup. They also don't take up much real estate on the belt, so you can clump them close together. The Ben Stoeger pro shop sells them if you're trying to track some down.

A lot of 3 gunners use the safariland 773 with ELS clips because they're easy to swap out with other things, and they aren't bad pouches at all. When I ordered some a while back the safariland people told me to get the wrong size (it fit a slimmer XD-9 mag), but I'm pretty sure the glock 17 size works well, though hopefully someone else could weigh in on that.

The DAA race masters are very cool, as are the cheaper racers, but obviously they're pricey and I've heard some complaints about the adjustment ball moving around and the pouches not staying rigid. They're also pretty tall, so there's not as much mag to grab onto, although it's probably better if you're using 140mm basepads. I haven't used them enough the verify any of that, but I've seen a few people switch away from them for production division.

Edited by BungeeeMan

I ended up keeping my xdm and since you bought my pouches I had to get new ones. I got 2 pieces of advice for you, I have heard if kydex pouches are too tight you can carefully heat them with a heat gun and wiggle a mag around in them for more space. If you want the perfect pouch you will want the daa aluminum race master, 60 bucks a pop but once you pull a mag out you will think it's the best money you ever spent, very very secure but feels like butter coming out. I ordered 2 from shooters connection Wednesday and they came in Thursday. Sry u don't like the blade techs.

Hey don't worry about it. I did the research and a lot of people really like them, they just didn't work for me. The gear we all use is very personal and what what works for one doesn't always work for another. That's why this site has such a busy marketplace section.