Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

level III match ROs

TheOtherErik

I hope this is the right forum

Our section has put on tournament level matchs in the past under the old rule book. This year we want to continue to put on best under the new rule book. The best being a level III. We used to have the RO shifts split on two different days. The match director is telling us that we can no longer have split RO shifts, and the same CRO and RO must be on that stage the whole length of the match. Looking through the new rule book I find nothing that states this. The only thing I can find is that the apendix A1 which list the match requirements. In that list it says that "Cheif Range Officer(s) " "manditory". I take that to mean as "at least one currently certified Cheif Range Officer to supervise the match." Wich is how it was stated in the old rule book.

Can someone prove or disprove the notion that the same set of ROs have to be on the same stage the entire length of the match.

Hi,

For IPSC there is no such rule.

However, I notice that MD's / RM's strive to have at least the same CRO on all stages during the match. It is also good practice at the L3 matches I have attended that the same person (de facto the CRO) does the stage briefing for all squads.

I don't think it is a rule. But, it is likely the MD's policy for this match. It might not be a bad one...on the basis of keeping the match the "same for everybody"?

Spliting the RO's has pros and cons.

(this thread would be a great place to discuss that)

For level III and higher matches I have found the if the same RO(s) and CRO stick to one range you get the best consistency for the entire match. On level I and II, due to their low CoF counts, it is sufficient to thoroughly brief the travelling RO(s) for Constancy.

At the matches I have attended the squads were equal or more than the amount of CoF's, thus making the burden of "Where do we get all the ©RO(s) from?" smaller with stationary personnel.

My 0.02

Here is my beef,

I always help out with my section match, and will continue to do so. I also am a competitor, and wish to remain competitive. If I RO(which I allways do), this time I will be asked to shoot the match friday with the match staff, the remainder of the competitors will shoot saturday and sunday. I will miss out on the chance to watch other shooters shoot the various stages, which is a big advantage on some of the more technical stages. In the past ROs worked 1/2 day shift and with the open squadding you were able to finish the match no problem.

I also belive that you can get more help from others knowing they only have to work half a day or 1 day as apposed to the whole weekend. If the work load was less and spread more evenly the core group of voulnteers wouldent get burnt out as easily.

I agree that keeping the same set of ROs is great for consistancy but is not a necessity. I feel that with propper communication and good stage desgin 4 different sets of ROs could be equally consistant. Ultimatly all problems come down to poor stage desgin.

The compromise would seem to lie with dedicated CROs running the stage they're assigned to for the whole weekend. Any ROs you recruit who are willing to work the entire weekend should be assigned to the more complicated stages first. ROs working partial shifts can fill in as necessary. Dedicated CROs in my experience, ensure consistency during the match and should be used in sectional and area matches whenever possible.

The compromise would seem to lie with dedicated CROs running the stage they're assigned to for the whole weekend. Any ROs you recruit who are willing to work the entire weekend should be assigned to the more complicated stages first. ROs working partial shifts can fill in as necessary. Dedicated CROs in my experience, ensure consistency during the match and should be used in sectional and area matches whenever possible.

While the ideal may be one RO the whole time, I found that my first time RO'ing a big match was considerably helped by doing only one day. (that and a fantastic MD and staff!)

Allowed me to get my feet wet and build my confidence up, and increased the pool of future available RO's by 1. Having done a number of local matches, it was like nothing I'd done before.

The stage I worked had the same CRO and scorer for the consistency needed throughout the match, and I think that is a good thing.

I could not shoot on Friday without taking a day off (which i could not do because of specific issues) so shooting Saturday and working Sunday was perfect. Add to that the person I replaced ran with a super squad on Sunday, and you can see the value of having back-ups such as myself at any match.

Tell me I can't do it and you've lost an available RO. You don't build the sport through match fees and money alone, you build it through involvement and opportunity for the shooters to be a part of something bigger.

Erik,

To the best of my knowledge, you need one CRO per stage --- an actual, certified CRO.....

I doubt there is that many in the state let alone the section to cover an 8 stage match. Also that would contradict the old rule book tournament status that said "at least one certifed CRO to oversee the match"

Erik,

you asked about "Mandatory CROs" so I presume you're trying to run at least an Area match. You should be able to come up with enough CROs in the area, if not it's time to schedule a level 2 class....

If you're trying to run a section or state match, run it as a level 2.....

The match director is telling us that we can no longer have split RO shifts, and the same CRO and RO must be on that stage the whole length of the match.

This is correct for Level III and higher matches, and it's excellent advice, because it's the best way to ensure consistency in officiating. And you're absolutely correct in your reading of "mandatory" in Appendix A1.