Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open .40 Glock: 22 or 35

jh9

Currently I'm shooting a 17 in limited minor, and I've been shooting the standard size Glocks (17/22) for years. I've shot but not owned the 35 and 24. Both felt nose-heavy, but made factory .40 ammo a LOT more tolerable. The 24 felt like a 9mm.

Can anyone say from experience how a 22 (which is just unpleasant with factory ammo) with a Carver comp would compare to a 35 (either stock or with an inexpensive ported barrel)? Tenatively, I'm planning to pick up either a 22 with a KKM/Carver barrel and comp or a 35 with an inexpensive ported barrel, having a slide-mounted red dot sight (RMR?) installed and buying a couple of the 22-round factory magazines. In terms of Open gun, this looks like about as cheap as it gets. It's not optimal, but for the price it seems really close.

I understand I'd lose several rounds compared to 38SC/9major/etc, but the local matches tend to top out around 33-34 rounds for field courses and I wouldn't have to chase ridiculously expensive brass into the weeds. Thoughts? I'd like to play around with a dot-sighted gun, but don't really want to drop 3k on the affair.

SJC makes a nice open Kit. add'ed a C MORE dot thats how I made mine (G 34 ) and some taylor freelance mag ext: ( 27 rounds) ... reload for major with MRI sr7625. once I got the recoil spring right... It runs great.

I run an open 17 built with both sjc and zev complements in major and runs absolutely amazing, get 29 to a big stick using Taylor freelance extensions. Shooting a 40 might hurt in the long run dealing with lower round counts.

If your looking for an inexpensive route check the classifieds for a used glock open gun. They can often be had for pretty cheap when people upgrade. The comp will help some but with factory ammo it's still more flippy than a load made for a compensator you reload. For the optic I would have a regular cmore and mount.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a G22 and a G35 and they are both set up for shooting Open. The G22 is my main gun and the G35 is my back up. I like the feel of the G22 better then the G35 as far as shooting Open. I have 2 factory 22 round mags with the TF +3 exts., that's 25+1. Ok so I lose between 2-4 rounds against a 9mm, WHO CARES, I can reload ANYWHERE. But if you are going to shoot Open, YOU HAVE TO RELOAD. or it's just pointless. There are more powder options for 40 open then 9 open in a Glock. Feel free to check out my videos and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me and ask. I will be happy to answer all questions.

• 1 month later...