Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa max fast firing "bill drill" - is this a "defect&#34

tb1911

How many rounds through your VM? the cycle time should be the same with light or heavy loads in the VM. With the heavy loads, you are just not able to split as fast. I found that once the action spring had about 1500 rounds on it, I could run the Win low recoil and could no longer outrun it even when I tried.

How many rounds through your VM? the cycle time should be the same with light or heavy loads in the VM. With the heavy loads, you are just not able to split as fast. I found that once the action spring had about 1500 rounds on it, I could run the Win low recoil and could no longer outrun it even when I tried.

Just a few hundred rounds so far. I suspected that things may loosen up with a higher round count. Good to know. As I shoot more, I will post an update on this thread.

Do you guys generally run the lightest loads you can find? I can recall a couple of matches I shot where the lightest stuff wouldn't knock some steel down which led me to believe I should run heavier stuff. What's the conventional wisdom here?

Edited by tb1911

Remember what Robert Ruark said…”Use enough gun”

While it will ultimately depend upon how devious the match director gets with target types and distances I have rarely found anything in this game that cannot be handled with a 1 1/8 oz. load of #7.5 at 1145 or 1200 fps. My gun will run these all day long and the recoil is quite manageable.

On chokes and Loads, good advice from one of the best to ever run a scattergun at speed...http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/d8baafea#/d8baafea/38

Stars, poppers and spinners are the ones that can be harder to knock down. If you take a 1 ounce load at 1000fps, that is 437.5pf. Steel goes down (supposed to) at 125 PF. A shot column interacts with steel for a longer time frame. So technically, if you get 28% of that shot column on target it will go down. So take a 1 ounce load at 1300 fps, you need 22% on target to take down the popper. In most cases, it is not getting enough of the column on target that is the issue.

I think you will find most shoot 1 1/8 ounce at 1200 or 1145.

As for your malfunctions, try slide glide on the carrier too.

mark is correct, knocking steel over has way more to do with shot pattern than shotshell power, shooting real practical shotgun(IPSC), you are sometimes called on to take over targets with no shoots obscuring the target and use only a small portion of your pattern. given of course that the MD has checked targets using the normally accepted cyl bore choke on all targets. occassionally you'll get targets that are just hard to take over,(stars,full size poppers,etc) or that its to your advantage to take them over from further away, there is where your shotshell power, shot size, or wad type comes into play.

Trapr