Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics question

frayluisfan

For those who run a 1-4 or 1-6 optic with a red dot, it seems like the way most people are going is to mount the red dot at 1:00. I haven't seen anyone using the PEPR mount from Burris, with a red dot mounted directly above the scope? Is there a reason for that? I've never shot either setup. Just curious.

Thanks very much, frayluisfan

Red dot above the scope is good for spotting long range targets when you are prone and have a high power scope. I have a set up like that on my .260. You find the target with the dot and then drop down to the scope and it saves you from hunting for targets with the scopes narrow field of view. Its not so good for shooting close targets quickly.

Doug

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I was curious because of how Burris has marketed their XTR and now their MTAC as a package deal, with their PEPR and Fastfire red dot all together. Has anyone experimented with that setup, or run it for a match?

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I was curious because of how Burris has marketed their XTR and now their MTAC as a package deal, with their PEPR and Fastfire red dot all together. Has anyone experimented with that setup, or run it for a match?

The reason Burris markets the scope that way is they put the on/off switch on the left side of the FastFire. It's kind of a pain to get to when you mount it on the right side at 45 degrees.