Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What grit to use to get a factory looking polish on a slide?

rcmigpilot

I picked up a new Para Expert Stainless .45 today. The only thing I don't like about the appearance is that the entire pistol is in a matte finish. I'd like to polish the sides of the slide to give it a sheen similar to the factory Colts and older S&W autos. I know how to do the polishing, just don't know what grit to use to get the right sheen, anyone know?

I hope the slide is flat. Start with something that can remove material but not put grooves in it and get it trued and you should up in the 400-600 range. You can kill yourself if you don't increase grit as your go.

Use something FLAT as a backing to whatever you go with so the flats stay flat.

Pat

I hope the slide is flat. Start with something that can remove material but not put grooves in it and get it trued and you should up in the 400-600 range. You can kill yourself if you don't increase grit as your go.

Use something FLAT as a backing to whatever you go with so the flats stay flat.

Pat

Yes, a ground tile (we use big ground surface inspection plate) will work in a pinch. If the slide isn't flat enough to get a good true flat polish without excessive material removal, you may need to use a sanding block instead.

You can use a piece of PLATE glass for the flat surface. Easy to clean up and the liquid (water or light oil) will hold the wet/dry sandpaper tightly to the surface. Just don't get fumble fingered and drop the slide on the glass! You can probably pick up a piece large enough (12" x 12") for working on a slide for free or for a very low price at a large glass shop.

Edited by Ming the Merciless