Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Frame questions

Smitty4313

Hey Gang!

I'm putting together a new Limited gun, and I need some guidance from the STI experts here. I've built 1911's before, but this is my first 2011.

I took delivery of my frame lastnight. And, a couple things came up right off the bat.

1). After putting the barrel into the ramped cut in the frame, I noticed that the dust cover is at least a quarter inch past the muzzle of the barrel. The barrel is a 5" bull, and the dust cover is a full length, wide. Does STI leave the dust cover long so it can be trimmed down to meet the slide length? Seems that way, but I thought I would be sure, and ask.

2). How in the world does an ambi safety go into the frame on the right side? The arm of the safety that goes under the grip panel on a 1911 frame has to go into the slot milled into the 2011 frame. But, the pin end has to go through the hole in the frame for the grip safety, AND have the arm slide into the slot at the same time. No can do. Am I missing something? The ambi safety that I'm using is a Wilson.

Thanks for the help guys!

Smitty

Edited by Smitty4313

Smitty

When you fit the barrell you will see that the rear of the slide will hang over the frame a little. The dust cover will most likely need to be shortened as well. The build I just finished needed twenty two thousanths to be removed from the dust cover.

The ambi goes as follows. first you need to fit the arm of the right side of the safety to pivot down into the slot on the frame. When you assemble the safety its backwards from a 1911. First you put in the right side. Then the left side. Line them up and squeeze the left side into the right side.

Hope this helps

Edited by donnyglock

If you have the barrel all the way up against the VIS the barrel isn't really in the same position it is when it's locked up. Remember that it cams up and over the slide stop as the gun closes.

And yes, the frame may be slightly long, but it isn't a quarter inch long.