Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle only USPSA Style Match

jacketjoed

Talking to our match director about the possibility of trying one of these matches sometime this year. Does anyone have any experience with this type of match, and if so any suggestions or results you can pass along.

Thanks

Joe

The Hernando Sportsmans' Club down here in Central FL Gulf Coast has been doing an Action Rifle match for some time. They follow USPSA safety and procedural type rules, and score something like IDPA. I will be shooting in that match for the first time on Saturday, and I'm very much looking forward to it!

http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/actionrifle.htm

Check out the rules and video for an idea.

Richmond Rod & Gun Club holds 2 club level multi-gun matches per year along with a championship level rifle only match in late July and a championship level shotgun only match in late September.

Bay Area Rifle Championship Website: http://www.3gunrules.com

California Action Shotgun Challenge FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/CalActionSgChallenge

At a local club in Oxford, Oh (OH10) they try to alternate rifle & shotgun matches, depending on interest. After the monthly USPSA match is over those who paid an extra $5 at signup then shoot the long gun match. All the same stages with just the steel removed on the rifle days. Scoring the same.

At a local club in Oxford, Oh (OH10) they try to alternate rifle & shotgun matches, depending on interest. After the monthly USPSA match is over those who paid an extra $5 at signup then shoot the long gun match. All the same stages with just the steel removed on the rifle days. Scoring the same.

We did the same a few years back at a local club. After the USPSA match we shot again using rifles only. Same stages, same scoring. It was a bunch of fun. Don't know of any clubs doing that now.

Thanks for all the input guys, here is kinda what I have been thinking for it. 4 stages, mix of paper and steel. We have a ton of the mini USPSA style paper targets left over from a fun shoot to throw in the mix as well . We have two, hundred yard bays, that I was thinking of make one with nothing but long shots, and the other into a few long shots then advance and engage as you see targets. Third stage will be split between two shallow bays with an obstacle to navigate in between. The last stage will be in a 50 yard bay and be of similar nature to the second stage. Now thoughts on scoring, do you think that time plus or hit factor would better. The majority of the targets will be paper cause we don't have a lot of rifle rated steel. Also what you you think would be a good round count to shoot for.

Edited by jacketjoed

• 4 weeks later...

Club I use to shoot at had a Pistol Caliber Carbine outlaw division at their monthly USPSA match. We used the same COF as the pistols and often shot with them. There was a mix or carbines used but I think the hot platform ws a 9m AR with a dot.