Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tourist traveling with guns. vacation after WS florida.

Hello.

I am plan on going to the world shoot i florida in october.but i also plan on staying a couple weeks for vacation before or after.

How much trouble is it to travel around with my gun in the luggage?

Since i`m flying in from Norway,i have to drag my shooting gear with me on the vacation.

Appreciate any tips for what too do and what not too do. Thank you very much.

After you land in Florida? Shouldn't be any issue at all. It's not like the authorities are gonna stop and search you on every corner.

Edit to add: I've lived in Florida all my life...I travel alot around the state for work, and have for 26 years. I always carry a gun in my luggage, anywhere I go in the state. I have never been stopped and asked about it, harassed about it, or anything about it...

Edited by GrumpyOne

You are in far more danger of having your car stolen with the gear in it or more likely just having the car broken into. Take your gear into hotel room at night. Do not leave ANYTHING inside passenger compartment of value, especially if it's visible from outside. They'll break a window to get it and pop the trunk from inside.

I have travelled the world with guns, mostly for hunting, but have driven around Europe with a shotgun in the trunk and never been hassled. I have always had the proper paperwork but have only been checked while flying, never driving.

I always use a lockable hard case ( required for flying) and carry a retractable cable bicycle lock and lock the locked hard case onto something in the trunk of the rental car, even to the spare tire if that's all I can find - anything to slow them down. I always prefer to leave my guns locked inside the hard case locked to an immoveable object or something large like a chair or bed in my hotel room than in the car all day while I'm out. I also carry a plain duffle to put the hard case into to discourage interest in the gun case.

I live in Florida and have for many years but have never thought about a non-resident or even US citizen for that matter, traveling around with guns. That said, Florida is in general a VERY gun freindly state. I would say, and this is worth what you paid for it, that you would be fine with a properly secured firearm stowed in the trunk of your auto most anywhere. Good luck and welcome to Florida, we appreciate you coming to shoot and spending money here!

If you are arriving and departing at the same point of entry I would spend some time in the next few months getting to know a few locals with some history here on the board. I for one would have no problem storing your firearms in my safe for the duration of your visit. Other options include locating a gun store willing to "clean and store" your weapons for a small fee or even pawning them for a week (cost would be a small interest payment but the store has the liability). I wouldn't want the additional stress of vacationing with my very expensive competition firearms in tow.

pawning them for a week (cost would be a small interest payment but the store has the liability).

I agree with finding someone to store them, but be careful of options that might require you passing a background check to get them back (like pawning them). I don't know if an "alien" can even do so.

As a Non-Immigrant Alien (that is what the U.S. BATFE calls us non-American visitors) that has flown to Florida and other US states and then travelled around, there is no problem. Once you have cleared U.S. Customs and Immigration there are no other regulatory checks on you.

Travel safe. Keep the guns locked when not on a range, do not advertise that you have guns with you, and keep then in your hotel room overnight.

There are certain cities, counties and states, generally in the north-east U.S. where a foreigner with handguns could get themselves into a bit of a jam. In Florida and the surrounding states you should not have any problems and will have a GREAT vacation.