Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium vs. stainless parts for a 1911 style guns

Sounds like a plan.

I run the SVI Triglide package with the additional titanium main spring cap and extended firing pin.

Titanium hammers...they're nice and light...but don't offer that much of a shortened lock time as to

take advantage....IMHO :devil:

Heres my STI Eagle 5.0

post-24914-0-88918600-1348281361_thumb.j

I've have had a strut and hammer before. The strut pin holes will oval over time and eventually fail to give good ignition. My hammer had a steel pin in the cocking surface and decided to fall out one day. Went back to steel.

The Koenig lightened hammers are the best.

I have a friend who is getting me bullet proof parts from Wilson. I was think of a new titanium strut amd cap. Then I thought about the eilson bullet pfoof firing pin. I may change it. This is for a Springfield armory 1911 build I have been doing. I like the advice zny of youcan give. It does have a egw skeletal hammer. I like it alot.

I am not a fan of titanium struts. Seems like they flex more than the standard steel part, and I don't see any real benefit in using titanium for that application. Mainspring cap probably isn't going to make any difference. I find it kinda funny when people claim they can tell a fraction of a second difference in lock time. Really? I have triggers that are nice crisp 1.5# 100% reliable with steel (Colt) struts. For hammer/sear/disconnect, I use SV and/or EGW parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you mention the Chip McCormick Ti hammer as I was thinking of those when I read this post but figured not many would remember them.

The old Chip McCormicK Ti hammers do seem to have a faster "snap' to them.

They were kind of fickle as far as wear though, some batches would last a long time and others would get eaten up by the slide, disconnector, or lose their hook surface pretty quick. Using a good moly-di camshaft grease on the hooks helps and is what I have been using. I still have three, one in an open gun, one in a steel gun, and one in an old .45. I'm thinking of removing the Ti hammer from the .45 and maybe the open gun and keeping them as a back-ups for the steel gun where the fast lock time seems to make a difference.