Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex usb

bwtrayer

Anyone install this on their m&p's? I installed kits on my Pro and compact but didn't install the usb, mostly because I don't have a vise or sight pusher. It looks easy on the video, but I tried using a vise grip once with no luck.For those who installed it, did it make a big difference? Thanks.

The USB is part of a system and yes, it does make a difference. But you are going to goober up your slide big time attacking it with a Vice Grip. The rear sight normally drifts out very easily but you need a vice with padded jaws and a brass punch. Find a friend with a vice or buy a cheap on Harbor Freight or eBay.

Yes, it makes a difference and I would highly recommend it. Second, I do not have a vise so I just took it to my local gun store and they installed it for free since they had the rear sight tool. May want to call first though because some stores charge money for it. Either way it would be cheaper than buying a vise.

I agree with the others and say it makes a big difference. The rear site on my gun wasn't to hard to remove. I made a little punch out of some hard wood scraps because I was afraid of scratching the slide. It worked fine, but I've since picked up a site pusher.

You can remove the sight easily without a vise. You can get a decent set of small punches for about $15 at Lowes and tap it out. It will leave some tool marks on the sight, you may or may not be ok with that and if not use a sight pusher. The USB makes some difference. It leaves alot to be desired I think but its an improvement over stock. If you install it it makes a difference if you polish it up. Polishing it to a mirror finish helps.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I might have to do this in the next few weeks. My grandfather has a vise, so I'm sure I can mess around with it there. I have a punch kit, so I might try the larger end to not muck it up.

This is probably obvious but be sure to get a piece of scrap leather to put around the slide so as not to mar it in the vise.

Or, wait until you decide to do the work and realize you didn't get the leather before hand (like I did, LOL!)

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely worth it, installed the USB in both my full size and Pro. Still not a completely smooth trigger but got rid of 90% of the grit.

Agreed. The USB will eliminate most of the grit and the "hump" in the trigger pull. Adding the Apex hard sear will clean up what's left and shorten the reset.

To be fair, not all rear sights just tap out quite as easily as suggested here. Oh, they all come out. And it's still a job you can do for yourself without any stress. But my M&P rear sights mushroomed a brass punch pretty badly before they started to shift.

So still go for it yourself, but there is the possibility that yours could be a bit tighter.

Definitely worth it, installed the USB in both my full size and Pro. Still not a completely smooth trigger but got rid of 90% of the grit.

Agreed. The USB will eliminate most of the grit and the "hump" in the trigger pull. Adding the Apex hard sear will clean up what's left and shorten the reset.

This^^^ The USB is very good but when coupled with the hard sear everything is better.