Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gas leaking from end of gas tube?

kimberacp

just got back from the range and the ran but after 50 or so rounds the bolt is not stripping the next round. I can hand cycle but not shot after shot.

When I remove the magazine, I can see signs of gas on the top rounds. I can also see between the receiver and handguard the gas tube is black from soot. there is no gas leak from the gas block, only from the area I mentioned.

So, what should I look for when I dismantle the upper?

thanks

I removed the BCG and I can see the exhaust inside of the chamber and up along the wall of the receiver escaping through the gas tube hole. The end of the gas tube is shinny clean about a 1/4 inch, the rest of the area is covered with soot. That tells me that gas is escaping from the chamber, right???

Could it be that my handloads, I bumped the shoulder too far down, in an effort to ensure that they chamber and extract without getting stuck?????

The loaded rounds fit the Dillon gauge and do not fall below the lower limits. About even or maybe slightly below.

thanks

The end of the gas tube shouldn't be shiny, maybe you have a hole in the gas tube. The chamber should have a thin coating of powder residue over the inside of the chamber. If the case shoulder is set back too far it will only shorten case life, check one of your fired cases next to an unfired factory cartridge, if it is about the same to the naked eye then that isn't your problem.

From your post it seems like you may be mixing two problems, it would seem you do not have enough gas pressure to operate the action properly, this should have nothing to do with the chamber.