Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Target Adjustable Sight, buggered my screw.

walnutty

Hi Guys,

I have a Kimber Sts Target 9mm (bought new). When I was at the range, that rear sight elevation screw was very very tight. Even with the allen screw (on the side) removed, and properly fitting screwdriver used, I was not able to adjust the elevation.

I eventually got it to move after some drops of oil and shooting the gun, but also buggered the slot a little.

I called Kimber to see if they have any replacements for that rear sight elevation screw, but they said they don't have that available. They only have the complete rear sight. I asked if their sights are manufactured by another company but the rep said those are their sights. (quite odd not having spares for that)

Would there be any sources for this elevation screw?

Also my gun is shooting around 1-1.5" high at 10 yards which I found surprising. Front sight measures .185". Per the rep, that is the tallest front sight that they have. The only mod to this gun is an EGW custom-fit angle bore bushing.

I don't know if this is the new style Kimber rear sight, but it just doesn't seem to have enough down adjustment. Even with the sight screw bottomed, the rear sight blade is still sitting quite high.

Have any of you guys experienced this?

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

IMHO, 1.5" high at 10 yards isn't the end of the world, as that will still put you in the A zone or on steel. More importantly, where are you at the 25 and 35 yard mark? It's better to be more precise at those distances. Check there first, as 1.5" high at 10yds could just be part of the bullet's natural arc as it wends its way to a bullseye at 25. Personally, I like to zero at 20ish, but that's purely a personal perference.

If you can't get the POI to move up with your sights, try adjusting your load. If my memory of ballistics still serves, a heavier (read: slower) projectile will shoot higher because the gun will recoil up a smidge before the bullet leaves the barrel. So, give a lighter, faster bullet a try before making equipment changes.