Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob Advice for a New Gun

Gooldylocks

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get rid of the 115's like kneelingatlas said. they are horrible projectile for a 9mm minor compact.

if you want a simple option, get some 135gn round nose. they are a very decent, middle of the road projectile choice and at 130pf will be nice and easy to shoot.

I've been reloading for about 2 or 3 years now. Trust me, it doesn't get less confusing. You just get smarter :D

I prefer 124's for my Glock 34. I've been looking at 147's mostly for powder savings (there's more than one way to be cheap while reloading, and it's not just buying cheaper bullets lol).

If you want major scoring, you'll be looking for a Glock 35. As it is right now, I'd probably save for the gun you REALLY want (whether that is a Dawson Glock, a Para, or a whatever strikes your fancy) while shooting that full size ruger. You won't be wearing it out anytime soon.

My dad offered to buy my ruger off of me for his new carry gun so I am only going to be into a new Gen4 G35 for about 150 bucks. I'm going to go for it. Thank you all for the help, I hope to see you at the range!

I will post pictures once my new gun gets here, should be sometime next week!

I've been reloading for about 2 or 3 years now. Trust me, it doesn't get less confusing. You just get smarter :D

I prefer 124's for my Glock 34. I've been looking at 147's mostly for powder savings (there's more than one way to be cheap while reloading, and it's not just buying cheaper bullets lol).

I am starting to figure that out. I tried out my first two .40 cal loads ever yesterday, and was already being told ways to do it better as soon as I got to the range! There is just so much information out there it is hard to absorb it fast enough. One of my loads made major in a Glock 22, the other was just shy.

Load 1: Federal SPP, 4.9gr Bullseye, 180gr JHP (I am not sure what they are) OAL 1.12. This one went minor, avg velocity was ~910 fps

Load 2: Federal SPP, 5.4gr Bullseye, 180gr JHP OAL 1.12. Major, average vel was ~950.

I was by one of the Master shooters at the range that he loses about 15 power factor going from his 35 to a 22. So hopefully in my 35 I can use the lower charge that went minor this time. Thoughts?

yeah every gun is different. barrel size (9mm barrels for example can be anywhere from .355 to .357). barrel length greatly affects velocity too. not sure it would change 15 points though. he probably (possibly) meant 15fps difference.

Yes, I would try your current 40cal 'minor' load in your 35. you need to test it in the gun you shoot.

Now that you say it I think he did say fps and I just was thinking power factor. Something else that I was thinking about, most people seem to think that cast bullets will do okay in a stock glock barrel if using the right powder combination and bullet hardness. I would really rather shoot lead if it is generally considered safe for me to do so. I will probably buy a lone wolf barrel once I have the money but if I can avoid doing that for awhile I would like to.

Also since lead runs faster than jacketed, what kind of velocity increase do most people see?

I did a lot of research and carefully monitored for any fouling as I worked up the load, but I shot Precision Black Bullet moly coated bullets through my 9mm Glock 34 with no issues at all. But before you go there, it's up to you to absolutely understand the issues and danger surrounding the polygonal rifling and make it your own decision.

That being said, my research uncovered enough endorsements for moly and Glock barrels playing together nicely as long as you kept your bullet velocity well below 1000 fps. And shooting 9mm 147s you can make Minor PF comfortably around 900 fps.

Of course that's all 9mm, but it's one endorsement for moly and Glock barrels being possible. And the heavier 40 bullets should allow you to keep the velocity extremely low.

If my math holds true then major with 180gr bullets is 944fps, assuming you want a bit of leeway. I will start off lower than that and work up to it, hopefully it is okay. If not then I will buy a lone wolf barrel sooner than I had planned.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'd recommend buying a good set of sights first. Other than that, the G35 will give you everything you need. Lighter trigger, and extended slide release. You might look at Berry's or Bayou Bullets...I use SNS, which has coated bullets very similar to Bayou Bullets. They ought to be safe in your Glock. Start low, work up is the best way to do it. Keep an eye on your casings for pressure like a blown primer, pierced pocket, or bulged case. Otherwise, have an awesome good time.

Also, I hear .40 minor is a very nice mild mannered load (if you wanted to shoot production for a little while).

200gr bullets will get you even slower ;)

I've just finished working up a 200gr 40 Major load for an M&P based on SNS coated bullets. Not sure how their coating may or may not play nice with Glock rifling, but I think I read somewhere that they use the same paint as Bayou Bullets. So you might look around for reports on those coated bullets with Glocks.

Thanks for all the advice guys! My new gun got in to the shop today, by I won't be able to pick it up till Monday :(

Ok so here is what I am thinking do my first loading experience: get a trial pack (or 2) of 25 badman 180 grainers and work up a few bullseye loads as well as a few IMR Hi-Skor 700X loads and test them for leading and power factor. Thoughts? Loads with 700x? I had it doesn't meter very good, so I will need to watch that for sure....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I was spoiled when I first started shooting with a LEO issued Beretta M9. I love the full metal frame and the recoil management is amazing

That being said, a Beretta around here is somewhere in the upper 600's to low 700's, so I bought a Glock 22 in .40.

Before I went to the academy, I had a strong dislike of plastic frame guns. After my firearms course, I learned to love the glock.

I'm with you on the XD, I think it's an ugly design, but firearms are all about what you're comfortable shooting. I hated the glock initially, but with time and practice, I learned its quirks and how to counter them, and now I own one.

I did a lot of research and carefully monitored for any fouling as I worked up the load, but I shot Precision Black Bullet moly coated bullets through my 9mm Glock 34 with no issues at all. But before you go there, it's up to you to absolutely understand the issues and danger surrounding the polygonal rifling and make it your own decision.

That being said, my research uncovered enough endorsements for moly and Glock barrels playing together nicely as long as you kept your bullet velocity well below 1000 fps. And shooting 9mm 147s you can make Minor PF comfortably around 900 fps.

Of course that's all 9mm, but it's one endorsement for moly and Glock barrels being possible. And the heavier 40 bullets should allow you to keep the velocity extremely low.

So what qualifies as "well below" 1000 fps? Would you consider 950ish fps to be in the realm of safely below?

I don't know that there are any magic numbers or percentages. For me at the time 900 fps was a natural target that seemed to be enough of a margin below 1000 fps to permit some careful experimentation. But in the end it was just a round number and a gut check.

As you make your decision, just keep in mind that 200gr bullets make power factor slower than 180s.

First time shooting my new Glock, and it was fun! The difference in recoil between a normal full size and the long slide is actually pretty noticeable. I was surprised. I will post some pictures of it shortly.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, I have really appreciated all the help!

Now that you say it I think he did say fps and I just was thinking power factor. Something else that I was thinking about, most people seem to think that cast bullets will do okay in a stock glock barrel if using the right powder combination and bullet hardness. I would really rather shoot lead if it is generally considered safe for me to do so. I will probably buy a lone wolf barrel once I have the money but if I can avoid doing that for awhile I would like to.

Also since lead runs faster than jacketed, what kind of velocity increase do most people see?

there are lots and lots of guys shooting coated lead here in my area in glocks with the standard barrels with no issue.. don't shoot just plain lead with lube, buy stuff like the bayou bullets, or black bullets or SNS or whoever sells bullets with the australian "hi-tek" moly coating. there are lots of casters in the US using that coating now so finding projectiles you want with it shouldn't be a problem.

when I move between coated lead and CMJ in my CZ I have to up the powder by about 5-7% to keep the same velocity. so yes, you can save a bit more $$ on powder by shooting moly coated lead over CMJ or FMJ.

the hi-tek coated bullets are great. no smoke, no lead on your fingers and very little lead in the barrel. just give the barrel a clean every 500 rounds or so.

I loaded up another load to try out tomorrow. It was 4.0 grains of Bullseye, so I don't think it will go major but we will see. I was thinking that if I could just barely go major it might not lead as badly as it was, considering the bullet would be going slower. We shall see tomorrow.