Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race me to "x"

pjb45

I stand by everything I said originally in post 9. No back pedaling. I am not sure how else to say it. If someone feels it does help them, cool. I am saying if you practice, you will not need to focus on racing anyone else there. You will surpass that level quickly, very quickly, with consistent and well planned practice/training.

And your response on the matter IS an interpretation. Your interpretation.

Edited by JaeOne3345

• 3 weeks later...

I stand by everything I said originally in post 9. No back pedaling. I am not sure how else to say it. If someone feels it does help them, cool. I am saying if you practice, you will not need to focus on racing anyone else there. You will surpass that level quickly, very quickly, with consistent and well planned practice/training.

You are welcome to your opinion of what is best for everyone (although I can't imagine why you care). doesn't bother me. Some dudes like fat chicks, some people think harleys are cool. Takes all kinds.

Edited by motosapiens

doesn't bother me.

LOL. Cool.

If no one%2ion: keep-aliveBSQ6#39;s told you yet, you have to look after your classifiers that count versus those that the system says are "too high" - this can get you stuck in B if you shoot 90.01% scores that don't count because they are more than 15% above the top of your class; meanwhile scores of 55.01% do count - those are the ones that really kill your average, especially as your top scores drop off for being "too old". After my initial "B" card in Open, I wrote on all my classifier sheets (stone age tech) the phrase "Dear USPSA - please count any score more than 15% above the top of my class, as these represent my present ability - thanks." This (and training) helped me get to A class in a few months.

Nowadays there are no paper sheets mailed to USPSA so you have to check your scores and send an email to the classifier administrator when a "too high" score happens. Once you're in A class it doesn't matter, a 100% counts (but it still took me more than 2 years to make Master, that's when the "training" part really matters - a lot).

It's even worse if you get penned into C class. Bottom score that counts is 35.01%, top score that counts is 74.99%. You shoot a bunch of solid-A scores like 80% and they don't even count; your gun chokes or you toss a mag change right into the dirt and get a 36% - guess what, that counts. C is the hardest class to get out of for this reason, unless you do some tracking & use some strategy. HTH

I read this post a few days ago.. I really like it... So true... Im stuck in the pit of B Class.... even though I regularly beat A class and M Class shooters... I feel like im easily Mid A class... but currently stuck at 72% in B Class...

Its frusterating... If I slow down a bit , I end up with mid to high 60% classifiers... OR , I can play Hero or Zero trying to get those low to mid 80% classifiers... But the worst part is If i make a mistake and post a 58% , it counts against me, and is hard to recover from...

Im not sure what my point is... maybe B class is spread to far ?

Im just trying to make A Class so I can not worry about classifications so much... But being stuck in B class is not acceptable... Hard to get out of..

%

• 3 weeks later...

If no one%2ion: keep-alive BSQ6#39;s told you yet, you have to look after your classifiers that count versus those that the system says are "too high" - this can get you stuck in B if you shoot 90.01% scores that don't count because they are more than 15% above the top of your class; meanwhile scores of 55.01% do count - those are the ones that really kill your average, especially as your top scores drop off for being "too old". After my initial "B" card in Open, I wrote on all my classifier sheets (stone age tech) the phrase "Dear USPSA - please count any score more than 15% above the top of my class, as these represent my present ability - thanks." This (and training) helped me get to A class in a few months.

Nowadays there are no paper sheets mailed to USPSA so you have to check your scores and send an email to the classifier administrator when a "too high" score happens. Once you're in A class it doesn't matter, a 100% counts (but it still took me more than 2 years to make Master, that's when the "training" part really matters - a lot).

It's even worse if you get penned into C class. Bottom score that counts is 35.01%, top score that counts is 74.99%. You shoot a bunch of solid-A scores like 80% and they don't even count; your gun chokes or you toss a mag change right into the dirt and get a 36% - guess what, that counts. C is the hardest class to get out of for this reason, unless you do some tracking & use some strategy. HTH

I read this post a few days ago.. I really like it... So true... Im stuck in the pit of B Class.... even though I regularly beat A class and M Class shooters... I feel like im easily Mid A class... but currently stuck at 72% in B Class...

Its frusterating... If I slow down a bit , I end up with mid to high 60% classifiers... OR , I can play Hero or Zero trying to get those low to mid 80% classifiers... But the worst part is If i make a mistake and post a 58% , it counts against me, and is hard to recover from...

Im just trying to make A Class so I can not worry about classifications so much... But being stuck in B class is not acceptable... Hard to get out of..

%

feel your pain

• 3 months later...

Being a new shooter the "Race to X" gives me another goal and competition. It isnt about gaming out classifiers but more about another level of competition within the USPSA realm. I have fun and find it picks me up when I have a group of guys backing me when I post a good score or when I have them pick me back up when I post a crap one.

Minor thread hijack, but perhaps you are doing it wrong.... What specific shortcomings in your skills or performance is keeping you from shooting better classifiers? What specific training or drills are you using to address those shortcomings? I've found it helpful to watch other shooters, have them watch me, video my runs, and analyze my timer data to find where I suck more and where I suck less, and I try to work on the areas where I suck more.

I've gotten the most benefit out of:

1. using M/GM goal times instead of intermediate goal times in dryfire and live fire drills.

2. better sight awareness through shooting and dryfiring while moving.

3. Switching to mostly partial targets in practice.

I know I still need to get better at shooting at points (rather than areas) at speed, so that's one of the things I'm focusing on right now.

If you are regularly beating real A/M clas shooters than I would suspect your problem is not skills, it's simply that you are trying too hard ... TRYING while shooting is the easiest way to guarantee a poor performance come match time ....

To test this theory simpy set up some classifiers that you've shot in the 60s and see what you can shoot them at during practice. If you can shoot them on demand in practice in the high 70s or low 80s then you've just IDed your problem. If you can't then maybe you have some skill deficiencies ... It's possible the typical stages in your local matches play to a particular strength of yours that is not very useful in classifiers ...