Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop in lasers for training

Blaster

Dry firing is like watching paint dry so I have played with lazers in pistols for years.With 3 gun rifle is my weakest point so I have started looking at drop in lazers for ARs. There is laserlytes drop in laser,drops in like a cartridge, about 100 bucks, no adjustment, and single shot then need to rack bolt. then there is next level training sirt AR bolt laser, 200 bucks with green laser and a shot each time trigger pulled and is adjustable. Anyone have experience with either? Thanks

I still need to play with my green SIRT ar laser bolt, maybe next day or so.

I will say that the Green laser is worthwhile upgrade over Red if you plan on training daylight/outside. The red can easily get lost outside, especially at distance, where the green is noticeably brighter so no issue daylight at most distances that you can see it.

When I researched the positive feedback on the SIRT bolt was the resetting trigger so you don't need to charge it each shot. It has a mechanism that goes around the hammer to give a resetting AR trigger. Negative feedback was that the bolt and the trigger mechanism were plastic, and maybe didn't seem built for the long haul.

Edited by trgt

I have a SIRT pistol and while I think it is useful to a point, I wonder if it actually introduces negative techniques. Its not like the laser burns a hole in the target, you have to take your eyes off your sites and look where the laser is shining. Is this sort of like picking your head up in golf to watch where your shot goes that actually messes up your shot? Perhaps the better approach would be using a laser AND a video camera and only checking out how you did after you are finished shooting.

Perhaps the better approach would be using a laser AND a video camera and only checking out how you did after you are finished shooting.

I thought the same thing. I'm working on something that is basically exactly what you are talking about, something where the iPhone is watching the laser for you. You do your drill / practice, then check the iPhone for shot placement and times after you shoot.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180636&p=2059033