Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACR lightened bolt review

DDustin

I would be curious to see a parts cost break down on getting the ACR up to speed. You can get a typical 3 gun setup AR for 1200-1450. A typical JP runs around 2250 as is arguably the pinnacle in AR design. A bushmaster ACR from buds guns runs 2046 for a factory configuration from what I've found.

I have an ACR and have had the opportunity to shoot quite a few rounds through it. I think that it is a fun gun to play with and I will probably run it in a local match for grins, but it won't be traveling with me to any majors.

It does exhibit less muzzle rise than the majority of 16" AR's, but a lot of that is because of its weight. I have the enhanced version and with its railed aluminum fore end it weighs in 20-30% more than your typical AR. Recoil is soft, but the muzzle moves in a circular manner reminiscent of an HK G - series battle rifle. I have had a lot of time on MP5's and HK 53's and a fair amount of time on an HK 91, and it feels a lot like the 53. I have not outfitted it with a muzzle brake because it is a play around gun, and I don't want to drive my shooting buddies to the other side of the range from the beating. I have shot it in comparison to a buddies SCAR 16s, and the SCAR is lighter and moves a less with the PWS brake that the comes on it. We did not pull the brake off for a true comparison.

Ergonomics are pretty good, but I would like to have an option for the pistol grip. What you get is what you get, a Magpul profile grip. Hopefully the alternative lowers that the OP referred to will remedy that.

Accuracy is on par with other piston guns that I have. It runs about 1.5 moa with good ammo, and 2 - 2.5 with XM193. I have thought about doing a barrel swap with a Nordic barrel that I have just to say that I did, but 1.5 is enough.

I would like to get hold of a lightened carrier if the became a production item and they don't cost an arm and a leg. At that point there will have to be additional gas plugs to reduce the pressure so the system doesn't run at warp speed and beat itself to death.

It would take substantial work to make it a high level competitor in the gaming rifle field, but there are possibilities.

Kuan

Reference to the carrier tilt question. I don't think that you will see any issues. Carriers have been riding on rails in carbines for more than 60 years.

The piston AR problem was caused because there was no bearing surface on the rear of the carrier to combat the tilt when rearward pressure was applied above the long axis of the carrier. The DI system applied force down the center. I looked over quite a few early piston guns that had broken the real takedown pin lug clean off of the upper due to carrier tilt. The large diameter tail on current piston carriers seems to have alleviated the issue.

Kuan

Like was said before, I don't think you need to worry about carrier tilt the way it looks like the carrier rides on rails.

I think the maker of the ACR could do more to help promote it for 3-gun if they wanted too. Maybe that's coming in 2014? Maybe they're selling enough @ 2K that it doesn't matter.

I got to shoot a SCAR once when the FNH 3-gun match was in Missouri. It was OK.

I'd like to have a little playtime with the ACR to see how it functions inside but nobody I know around here has one.

For military use it's most likely a better action for reliability than an AR in rough conditions.

IDK if any of my AR's would run in a desert environment without lots of attention

Nick

Like was said before, I don't think you need to worry about carrier tilt the way it looks like the carrier rides on rails.

I think the maker of the ACR could do more to help promote it for 3-gun if they wanted too. Maybe that's coming in 2014? Maybe they're selling enough @ 2K that it doesn't matter.

I got to shoot a SCAR once when the FNH 3-gun match was in Missouri. It was OK.

I'd like to have a little playtime with the ACR to see how it functions inside but nobody I know around here has one.

For military use it's most likely a better action for reliability than an AR in rough conditions.

IDK if any of my AR's would run in a desert environment without lots of attention

Nick

I know your fancy font is cool and different but it's really hard for tired eyes to read. So much so that I often skip what you have to say, which is unfortunate.

Of course it doesn't show up in a quote.....

Edited by Thehotrodpig

I will chip with my own thoughts. I owned an ACR. I really liked shooting it, and it ran clean, even with a can. Then I ran the ACR in a shooting course with a lot of timed drills for speed. I could not get the ACR to run as fast as an AR. My split times with the ACR were slower. This is against an AR with a JP LMOS and silent captured spring system.

I voted with my wallet and sold the ACR for a JP SCR-11. I am very happy with the change. I will admit the ergonomics of the stock ACR are better. But I was able the change the SCR to the way I like it: phase 5 lever, ergo tac grip. Changes I could not make to an ACR. To each their own. I like the ACR, but it did not run the way I like it at speed. I've dealt with similar issues with pistols. I liked them, but found an issue that could not be solved, and meant I needed to switch to a different design.

Edited by Triggerf16