Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Comfortable" Magwells?

jkrispies

I've always been a Single Stack and Production shooter, so I have no experience with the larger magwells. Now, I'm looking to convert my Glock over to a Limited setup. I'm doing some reading here at BEnos and see some folks mentioning how some magwells are more "comfortable" than others. I'm curious what exactly folks mean by this (I assume that these ride higher to assist grip more than others?) and specifically which magwells are considered to be more comfortable than others? Thanks, J

I've always had good luck with Dawson Precision Ice magwells. I tend to like a magwell that I don't notice until I need to make a mag change. I have big hands and never really liked the magwells that smash your hand up into the the beavertail. Dawson has a few different options in adding weight to Glocks too, which is nice too.

SJC, Zev, Dawson, and Carver Customs are the four i hear about most. My experience is limited, but i'll still give my input. The only complaints i'v heard about any were with the SJC cramping your strong hand a little if you have big hands. It's a huge magwell and looks like the lip arcs up a little more possibly pinching your hand. Depends whether you consider that a good or bad thing. I have a Zev magwell and with relatively small hands i feel it fits me perfect. The way it's designed i don't think it could get any more comfortable. I still have a little space for my strong hand and the way the lips curved my support hand seems to lock in their pretty tight. I would think the Dawson would be close to the same effect. I'm just taking a guess with this one, but if you have huge hands it would look like the carver customs magwell would be good because of the lower arc and more clearance. I think it mostly comes down to preference. I'm sure those four would be in the top of the Glock magwell choices and they may all suit everyone differently depending on hand size and preference, but i believe they're all quality products.

Just curious what gun is it going on? 35? I would check out Zev first. They have many, many options of material choice and weight and i think by far are the most aesthetically pleasing of the bunch.

Edited by G17

It will be going on a G17, as that's what's in my safe.

I looked at the Zev website (they get extra credit because they're local to me!) and if I were to go for one right at this second, I'd probably pick their "small" version, unless convinced otherwise. This statement may be coming out of ignorance from me never using a magwell, but having spent the past 8ish years shooting Single Stack, I'm not too concerned about missing a reload in a double stack, magwell or not. That's why I'm asking specifically about the "comfort" issue, as that intrigues me more than any increase in ease of loading. To that end, I'm guessing the "small" would do just as well in terms of comfort as the "large" because I'd think the fitment would all be on the top of the magwell... or is that foolish?

It will be going on a G17, as that's what's in my safe.

I looked at the Zev website (they get extra credit because they're local to me!) and if I were to go for one right at this second, I'd probably pick their "small" version, unless convinced otherwise. This statement may be coming out of ignorance from me never using a magwell, but having spent the past 8ish years shooting Single Stack, I'm not too concerned about missing a reload in a double stack, magwell or not. That's why I'm asking specifically about the "comfort" issue, as that intrigues me more than any increase in ease of loading. To that end, I'm guessing the "small" would do just as well in terms of comfort as the "large" because I'd think the fitment would all be on the top of the magwell... or is that foolish?

It really does all come down to hand size as far as comfort goes. We can make recommendations but "comfort" is more of a personal thing. I think all of the top models are sound, and they're all "comfortable", but people are all going to perceive them differently based on their hands and the make up of the their grip. For instance, with Zev's large brass on my 17, if i'm utilizing a high forward grip neither of my hands even touch the magwell. If i lower my support hand a bit i can get my pinky to rest on the lip of the magwell and sort of lock it in there and get a bit more leverage. It feels good. However, my father has big ol' sausage fingers and doesn't even look like he can grip the frame properly because of it. He doens't hate it, but it slightly gets in his way, and you can tell it's not as "comfortable" for him.

There are other variables involved like material and weight. When considering getting a magwell i knew i wanted to add weight to the gun. The heavy brass weighs about 8 or so ounces and gave the gun a much better feel. I would say that even if my hands don't touch the magwell when shooting, based on the extra weight it made my gun much more comfortable and enjoyable to shoot. I don't think your going to notice a drastic difference in the way they all feel because you really only have a pinky on top of it. Most of the difference is going to be the weight and mouth of the magwell. Unless you have massive gorilla hands they're probably all going to feel pretty good to you. Pick one that looks cool and let us know how it goes.

I'd run it without the magwell if you have been shooting single stack for years.

I wear large gloves.

I have the Zev heavy magwell on a G35. The bottom of my strong hand touches the top of the magwell --- pinky and the (bottom) blade of the hand. When I wrap my weak hand over... the magwell gets in the way. It feels like it is scrunching my hands.

I have the Prezine/JP type magwell also. Of the two I'd say the Prezine/JP type is more comfortable simply because I don't feel it as much.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/grip-adapter-mag-well-for-glock-reg--prod20944.aspx