Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 open gun retention holster

gerritm

I shot my first multigun match in open division at the Texas Tactical Precision 3-gun match Sunday and using my new Bobby Carver built Glock 17 open gun was a blast. Loved shooting it, but using a CR Speed holster never seemed like it was secure. The movement in this match was limited and I have shot others where there is much more movement and varied positions especially prone. I know it is only going to get worse. I was constantly holding on to the gun although it seemed secure, I am having a hard time trusting the holster. Any ideas on what to get that can be totally trusted?

Thanks, gerritm

I would probably use a real secure holster like the DAA RaceMaster or the Universal Academy Futuristic holster. I have the DAA RM holster for my STI, Glock, and revo pistols and it is very secure. The only issue is that it is fully exposed, which is not ideal for 3G. COM holsters makes custom Open holsters but they are not a full retention holster - they are kydex that uses compression to hold the pistol in place. I think a lot of people who are wanting to shoot Open in 3G are in the same boat as you and I'm with you. I'm in the process of converting my setup to Open also and the pistol part is what's killing me. Good luck...

If your using the carver mount for your scope your pretty much stuck with that holster. Just put more tension on the locking bar and you should be good to go. Also be sure your using the right nipple size for your comp.

Edited by Rick88

It seems like the nipple is too short. I have everything as tight as I can get it. Even put a screw and washer on the bottom piece with the nipple that adjusts so it will not slide down if I put pressure on the grip to keep it place while I am running. I think I am going to have a buddy mill me a delrin nipple a little longer so there is more length to not take a chance it could bounce or fall off.

gerritm

There should be no pressure on the nipple, if your comp is hitting the nipple adapter your pushing the gun up and out of the lock. Lower the adapter, lock the gun in the holster and then raise the adapter to where the nipple just goes inside the comp without the adapter hitting the comp.

If your using a Carver Mount, the CR Speed is the only option out there. With the SJC Mount you have other options such as the Racemaster which when locked. the guns not coming out. The CR Speed is one of the least secure holsters out there as you can draw through the lock and a good hit on the back of the gun can dislodge it. Its not as bad for USPSA unless its some weird starts but I would never trust it for 3 gun. Did you have an open shotgun to go with the pistol? If not I would stick with iron sights and shoot tac optic as the shotgun is the big game changer in open more than the pistol

Got the nipple right where I need it, no pressure on it the gun locks in place OK. It has the Carver mount. I think with a longer nipple it will give it enough room to move but not bounce off it. Don't need a real fast draw just retention.

I have shot tac Optics for a couple of years now and really enjoyed it, but it is time for a change. Messed up my loading thumb and am looking for a new magazine fed shotgun for open, but in the mean time I have my SX3 set up so I can load 15 at the start and do a minimal amount of reloads. I know the pistol is not the big game changer, but having shot it in a couple of USPSA type matches and shot it well with some of the best finishes I have had and I think with my old eyes I need all the help I can get.

Will the Safariland 014 holster work with the shorter barrel Glock 17 with a comp. Their specs show only working with the 34-35?

gerritm