Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornandy Hand Held Priming Tool Problem

I just bought one to crush seat primers on .38 special loads. There are two problems, first, it will not crush fit the primers, they seem to have redesigned the tool that limits the ability of the pin to get into the primer pocket. The pin is tapered just enough to get "normal" priming, but will not go deep enough to crush prime. The second issue is that the pin protrudes up in a way so that it will NOT feed primers from the tray. I prime on my 550b, but this seems to suggest poor quality.

Any advice? Am I doing something wrong? Should I go for the umber expensive sinclair tool?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by johniac7078

is there a difference between either end of the seating pin?

Can you flip it?

I ask because the rcbs hand primer has a very square edge end and a radiused end.

Never seen a hornady hand primer.

Can you flip it?

I ask because the rcbs hand primer has a very square edge end and a radiused end.

unfortunately not, there is only one way you can put it in. It seems like they flared the end so that it can only go so far into the primer pocket. I guess I could flair it so it goes deeper, but I think I rather just buy a better tool.

Something has to be wrong or they changed it. I use a Hornady to prime certain loads, and it flattens them just fine. I've had it push hard enough to bend/rip the rim off of brass.

If you squeeze it with no case in the shell holder, how far does the punch stick through the shell holder?

Something has to be wrong or they changed it. I use a Hornady to prime certain loads, and it flattens them just fine. I've had it push hard enough to bend/rip the rim off of brass.

If you squeeze it with no case in the shell holder, how far does the punch stick through the shell holder?

Well, it hardly goes in at all. It will seat a primer, but you can not crush seat with it. I use range brass, but have tried all different types, so it's not a pocket issue. I think you are right, they changed the shape of the pins so you can't get it to seat deeper. My buddy has one that I've used, worked great. Ordered this one, no dice. In fact the quality looks like it went down too. I am beginning to think that their legal advisors helped them make a "safer" tool. LOL I guess I'll go for a K&M. Bummer…..

Edited by johniac7078

Can you flip it?

I think the radius on one end of the plunger is for the joint that mates up to the lever not for crush seating primers. I could be wrong.