Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

newbies next question regarding his STI .45

Indebt

Thanks for all the feedback I got on my last post. I do think its a mag problem. I talked to Beven and he says that the .45's are tough. The other question is I love .45 much more so than .40 for a few reasons mainly low pressure and the .45 is easy to load. Though Beven says he can only get about 16 or even 15 out of my 140mm tubes which I've heard is pretty low to be competitive. Is it possible to make it to GM with my .45 with 16 rd mags in limited? I thought about going to a Glock as sort of a knee jerk reaction (they have always been ultra reliable unlike my STI) and the mags are cheap cheap even with +5 base pads. So the question is get out from my STI and go team glock in .40. Or stay with the limited capacity and use my .45.To have Beven do the mags is'nt cheap so i want to make a solid choice. Any help to resolve this issue would be great. THanks in advance.

Making GM is about shooting classifiers. Those 16 round mags won't hurt you on classifiers. But, they will hurt when it comes to being competitive at the top when shooting field courses.

Top shooters in Limited are shooting the 40. No doubt about it.

The double stack 45 would be fine in Limited 10.

I shoot a Briley-STI limited master in .40S&W for limited class with depending on mag 18+1 round. I feed it with 220grain H&N high speed flat nose cooper coated bullets using 4.6grain N340 with Federal sp200 primers OAL 1.134 Power factor of 186 and it shots as soft as the .45 tanfoglio of a friend of mine.

I would say with the right load it's easy to handle.

Using a Glock for example a G35 is fine to if you used to trigger, I started with a G34 but meanwhile I prefer the 2011

Cheers

Chris

Actually, if you look at the course of fires at the Nationals, you might get a better indication of what is truly feasible.

It is my understanding that COFs should be 8 round friendly. If you can get 16 per mag, you could be in good shape.

So, for stages between 17 and 19 rounds you might have to do an extra reload than those with a 19/20 round S_I mag. But how often to they occur where you shoot?

It seems most Para shooters can easily get 20-21 rounds in their mags. So they are at a slight advantage of having extra capacity when compared to S_I mags.

On a 32 round stage you will have to do a reload but so will all the S_I shooters.

You're limiting the number of rounds per mag which means that extra shots are a big deal. You really need to manage your ammo usage.

Additionally, I have played around with some .45 loads which barely make major and are quite soft to shoot. Granted shooting a couple hundred rounds of Winchester White Box does make my wrists hurt but all that is alleviated when my loads are in the 165-169 PF range.

I would think your pistol needs a little mag tuneing and feed ramp work. How good is your ammo? Good crimp and overall length? Case guauge? That pistol should feed anything. Have you tried replaceing your mag springs? IMSI makes the best ones, but the new Gramns spring and follower package is good too. If I had that pistol I would shoot L10 with it. Mag cap is not a issue that way and the double stack is really an advantage and all your limited gear is good to go.-----Larry

Problem solved it was an follower issue. I'll probably will continue to shoot limited 10 I'm just beginning and i've told myself that limited 10 is a good place to learn a few things before moving up to limited. I'm also just beginning to reload and have heard the .45 is easier to load. I'll eventually have to buy a .40 but for now I figure I'm better off shooting than spending. Thanks for all the advice. :)