Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Barrel with burr, is it a problem.

Flatland Shooter

What better way to spend the temporary cold weather indoor building a new upper?

Pulled out a new barrel I received earlier this week and checked the bore. There appears to be a "burr" sticking up into the bore where the gas port was drilled.

I've not touched the barrel and thought I'd put it out there to see what others with the same problem have done.

My first reaction is to run a bore brush on a cleaning rod and see if it will come out.

Another option is just go ahead and install the barrel and knock the burr loose with a few rounds. My concern here is what if the burr bends down into the gas port and causes blockage. Or could the burr break loose and get into the gas tube?

I guess I could go to the range and fire a few rounds before I install the gas block and see what happens.

Suggestions? I don't think this is a sufficient problem to send the barrel back (and go to the end of the waiting list).

Bill

I would try running a brush through it first before installing the gas block. Should knock most of it out and you can check the gas hole clear after the brush is run. (Mainly as the barrel is not installed and you should have a brush handy.) Shooting it should be fine also.