Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New sport shooter.

Jstrong

Hello all,I attended my first IDPA match at the Memphis sport shooting association earlier this month,last Saturdays match was cancelled,and I found myself still craving some type of IDPA fix so I decided to join up.

I shot my P226 elite in SAO in ESP,and was pleased with both mine and the guns performance. I was pretty accurate,and shot more than my share of down 0's. But definantly made up for them with plenty of Cover and reload procedural's lol. But what I count as my biggest victory was that I didn't break any safety rules,didn't make any super amatuer mistakes (forget to take safety off,drop/fumble my gun,etc) and my gun handling was smooth dispite my nerves.

Had an absolute blast! And can't wait for this Saturdays match. I'm addicted for sure!

A little about myself,I'll be 22 next month (yea I'm still a pup). Have been shooting handguns since I was maybe 10,my dad did me a huge favor and started me out on a 22/45,and put a big emphasis on sight picture and trigger control early,which has taken me very far,quickly, in my handgun marksmanship. Even though I consider myself a great shot I left my ego at the house for my first match,for good reason,as I fully expected that this type of dynamic shooting is a world apart from a static range shooting and country plinking.

Anybody that has some good quick dry fire tips to practice for moving into cover correctly,and the best techniques for moving while keeping a good sight picture would be much appreciated! I'm not quite sure where to start with those and I'm sure there are some standard drills that competitive shooters use. Since I prefer carrying guns with a Manual safety I've always practiced my draw to make taking my safety off muscle memory,so I've got a good smooth draw already,but I'm sure it can be quicker.

Anyways,I'm really excited to be breaking into this sport and to get to know the shooters on this forum!

attended my first IDPA match I was accurate,and shot more than my share of down 0's. But definantly made up for them with plenty of Cover and reload procedural's lol.

If you love IDPA, but have trouble with their rules re: cover and reloads (I did too),

try USPSA :surprise:

I tried IDPA and dropped it because I couldn't get used to those rules - LOVE USPSA. :cheers:

I think I would love the mental puzzle aspect of USPSA,having to solve the issue of what targets,when,where,and how to shoot. And being able to reload however you want,and being able to use my 20-round mags! But I think having most of my experience at a static range and plinking,I may be jumping in just a little deep at a USPSA match with the seemingly faster pace and more running around.

Moving with a loaded gun wasnt completely alien to me when I shot IDPA,but I think I could use a little more time in IDPA's more lax atmosphere to get a handle on my "run" and my "gun",before putting the two together lol

I think I would love the mental puzzle aspect of USPSA,having to solve the issue of what targets,when,where,and how to shoot. And being able to reload however you want,and being able to use my 20-round mags! But I think having most of my experience at a static range and plinking,I may be jumping in just a little deep at a USPSA match with the seemingly faster pace and more running around.

Moving with a loaded gun wasnt completely alien to me when I shot IDPA,but I think I could use a little more time in IDPA's more lax atmosphere to get a handle on my "run" and my "gun",before putting the two together lol

Trust me, you will get over the fear of jumping in too deep right after you run your first stage in USPSA. You don't want to try to go fast your first time out. Lot's of shooters walk the COF and take over a minute to shoot a 15 second stage. We were all first timers once. Just come out and load those mags all the way up and blast away. :cheers:

I may be jumping in too deep at a USPSA match with the faster pace

As Sarge mentioned, YOU get to set the pace. :bow:

My first USPSA match, I went pretty slowly - made sure I didn't break any safety rules.

After a few matches I felt comfortable speeding up a bit - still learning about speed -

I am "an OLD bullseye shooter", as I've been told a number of times.

I'm willing to bet even money that you can learn to run & gun faster than you can

learn those IDPA rules (no offense to IDPA shooters) - just IMHO.

You might want to try Steel Shoots - they're less running. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack