Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer goes halfcock for top IPSC shooter. Shooting too fast?

Jediwarrior

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Power Extractor was a colossal failure. It was made of the poorest quality MIM. It would break anywhere from 50 to 500 rounds.

They now use an EGW-designed one-piece extractor similar to the EGW Heavy Duty extractor. Problem solved.

The Mec-Gar magazines (made in Italy) are another issue with nose-dive FTF. Don't ask me why.

Have several of the new mags, some with dawson pads,some with arredondo, some with stock followers and some with arredondo 'blue followers' NO problems. The new para p14-45 pro custom magwell as well as the Dawson magwell will not fit the old para mag extensions or the arrendondo without some filing. For some reason the Mec-Gars (made in Italy) that came with the gun base pads will not fit on the Mec-gar mags (made in Italy) that I bought several months ago. My gun does have the new EGW extractor, but the junk MIM hammer/sear which will be replaced this week. The new Tomasie p16-40 will have the EGW fire control system as well as the egw extractor. I intend to have a long discussion with Para as to why the cheap MIM fire control on everything else. When I built my old para in 1995, my friend had me replace almost all the internals with either Guncraft or Wilson parts, Never a failure except for the stock barrel link that broke last year. I will keep an eye out for any FTFs when I get the gun back. THANKS..........

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the process of buying a 2011 owned by my buddy Scott who made GM with a Glock. He had this issue with it and it cost him big at a few majors when he was shooting it. So far I've been fine with a few hundred rounds through it, but since I also made GM with a Glock, I'm a little leery, LOL.

He tried swapping FCG parts but I don't think anyone gave the gun as in-depth a look as is suggested in this thread. So I guess just wait and see if it happens to me.

I'm not really able to shoot a 1911-pattern gun the same way as a Glock - with the Glock all I had to do was relax my trigger finger and pull again - I would only work the flexor muscles in my finger. With 1911s I have to use the extensors to push my finger back forward instead of relying on the trigger reset itself to do it. I guess I'd have to look at high speed video to see if my finger really comes off the trigger with 1911s (or Glocks for that matter) but the technique is definitely different. It was quite a shock the first time I tried to shoot a 1911 at speed.

Thanks for sharing DonovanM.

I knew the problem was shooter induced, but was unsure if there was a mechanical solution.

My earlier thoughts were to increase trigger return tension by bending the middle finger forward, and sacrifice a little on the overall trigger pull.

As a Glock shooter, this problem would be magnified on the 1911/2011.