Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuff the Nobel Prize Committee overlooked

EricW

There I was, watching "Frontier House" on PBS last night.  They took three families, stripped them off all modern conventions and made them live in 1883 for a period of like five to six months.  One family was led by a millionaire from California.  (So far, Richie Rich and Co. aren't coping well.  It's both funny and pathetic.)  Which got me to thinking...

The Nobel Prize committee is certainly doing a honorable work, but how important are such things as "Optical Molasses," Buckeyballs, and World Peace in our everyday lives?  Where is the recognition for the little things that make life worth living?

My hall of fame would be for the following:

1.  Refrigeration - Warm beer?  I think not.

2.  Pay at the pump gas - I can't live without this now.  I just can't stand waiting half an hour for some troglodyte to figure out how to run a cash register.  This is THE reason I have a debit card.  

3.  Progressive Reloading - Bless you Mike Dillon.  Anybody want hazard a bet as to whether action shooting would even EXIST in it's current scale without the progressive reloader?  What would someone's level of proficiency be if they had to spend 4-6X the amount of time reloading as they do now?

4.  JB Bore Paste - Funny how the truly miraculous products seem to omit the word "miracle" from the labeling...

5.  Kydex - Yeah, leather's cool, but do I miss the dye staining my clothes, seams coming apart, and the leather getting loose and sloppy with age?  Not really.

6.  Steel belted radials - Most of us don't even remember when changing flats was a regular occurence with those old, soft bias ply tires.  

7.  Fuel Injection + Electronic Ignition = $20 tuneup.  New air filter, new plugs, fresh oil and filter, and away you go.  Do I miss getting gouged by the dealer for a $450 tuneup every six months?  Not a chance...

8.  Speedy Delivery - FedEx singlehandedly changed the world.  I remember ordering stuff as a kid and waiting the prerequisite 4-6 weeks for delivery.  It always took six.  It wasn't even that long ago, but it seemed like they shipped everthing by wagon train.  Now, even ground shipping is quick - just so it can compete.  Isn't it great?

I know I missed a bunch, but I'm sure someone here will help fill in the blanks.

E

1.Electronic timers If we were still using whistles and stopwatches you would surprised how many people would be doing 4 sec El prez.

2. Digital audio Gives us clear great sounding music cheap

3. Computers Gee you are on one now

4. Internet Thanks ALGORE

5. Forums remember bulletin boards?? Before that it was print, letters and word of mouth

6. Pro Grip Oh no thats another thread

7. Almost anything high tech

too much to list

E,

You mentioned debit cards...let's go a step further.

How bad would it be without "money"?  Hauling around beads and shells to barter with would really suck.  

I remember the picture in the back of one of my Fortune magazines from a few years ago.  It showed Russian workers from a tire factory standing along the roadside, trying to sell their tires...which is what they received as pay for their labour.  Talk about a non-liquid asset.

GRRL WARNING :-)

Hair Dryer - Gods most outstanding gift to busy women!!  Useful not only for drying hair, but drying spots that just needed cleaning, molding your kydex holster, setting skateboard tape on your grips and lots of other nifty little heating jobs!

Clothes washer and dryer - even if you have to go to the laundry mat - can you imagine having to use a river and the sun?

Commuter Coffee Mugs - not as important as when it took 2 hours to get to work, but still a nifty little invention that lets you sip coffee for 2 hours and it still be hot.

Long lasting makeup products - ya'll just can not begin to imagine not having to go touch up every hour

An award is given each year for promoting World Peace?  ROFLMAO!   They outta make 'em give it back. Whatever amazing thing it was they did.......check it out..... IT ISN'T WORKING!  

I'll nominate the inventor of marshmallows, when I party like it's 1883, I like dem s'mores bars.