Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun shotgun for junior shoter

StjepanK

A youth model 20g (most comp's will allow 20g and a youth stock will fit her better)

I'd also invest in one of those slip on recoil absorbing (PAST) shoulder pads.

http://www.amazon.com/Past-Mag-Plus-Recoil-Shield/dp/B0013R8J48

AND some low recoil 12g shells,someone else with better knowledge of the cartridges/shells available in 20g and avalible in North America can chime in from my own limited knowledge I'd go for Winchester AA featherlights,if they cycle ok.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900611517/winchester-aa-featherlite-target-ammunition-20-gauge-2-3-4-7-8-oz-8-shot

Edited by Steveo

I'm about the size of a 14 year old, maybe a bit shorter - 5'1" - and I've been able to fit the M2 for me. Stock is shortened with wood blocks screwed and glued in for a recoil pad mount and the Benelli drop/cast shims help a bunch. My pull length is 12-3/4". I could only get a 930 down to 13-1/4" My short arms only reach the back of the forend so I stippled it for better grip. The Benelli is light and modifiyable (new word).

Talk to Chad Francis. His daughter Katie is wicked with her Benelli and it is a 12 gauge - she's tiny - my height and 95 or 100 pounds.

I'm about the size of a 14 year old, maybe a bit shorter - 5'1" - and I've been able to fit the M2 for me. Stock is shortened with wood blocks screwed and glued in for a recoil pad mount and the Benelli drop/cast shims help a bunch. My pull length is 12-3/4". I could only get a 930 down to 13-1/4" My short arms only reach the back of the forend so I stippled it for better grip. The Benelli is light and modifiyable (new word).

Talk to Chad Francis. His daughter Katie is wicked with her Benelli and it is a 12 gauge - she's tiny - my height and 95 or 100 pounds.

Katie’s M2 is a 21” gun with the Comfortech stock shortened (and Kick Ezz pad added) for about a 13” LOP. (ask me how I know ;-) ) There are several ways to cut down the M2 stock and add a new pad.

The lightweight and reliability of the M2 make it a good choice for a Jr. size shooter. It will have more felt recoil than a heavier Versa Max with the same shell...but that the Versa max is just so much heavier up front…I expect the Beretta 1301 would be a good choice too. Get the stock LOP adjusted as needed.

Spending some time fitting the gun to her will do as much, or more in my experience, for recoil management than gas vs inertia. If it needs to be longer for her arms, put on a thicker pad - Benelli has 3 available that just snap in. I would expect drop and cast to be critical for a slim girl. Get the drop so she can shoot with her head firmly on the stock so it can't get a running start to kick her in the cheek. If she doesn't have a lot of upper body strength, the light weight of the Benelli will be a benefit.

I can tell we're going to hate her, long legs that will let her run like a gazelle - and make all of us old men look horrible. Look forward to getting my butt kicked by her in about her second match.

Don't get me wrong I would love for her to choose Bennelli but I'm really afraid it will kick way too much for her.

Will try to have some shotguns lined up for her to try at the next months match and go from there.

She is doing weak hand reloads with my Sbe 2 and when she shoulders the gun it looks pretty good on length of pull minus the weight of 28" barrel and 7 plus tube.

This dove season she shot my 20 gauge O/U with minimal complaning.

i thought they made a youth stock for the M2.