Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Aluminum Grips

The_Vigilante

I was going to order an STI Aluminum grip for my new Eagle 9mm from Dawson Precision. Installation is described as "Simple with no fitting required." So when I asked them if they would install it for me they said they didn't install aluminum grips but didn't explain why. I got the impression that installation was not simple and did require fitting. Comments? I also contacted STI for their comments. They advised their older models did require some fitting but the newer model didn't...however, they also won't install the aluminum grips-not a very good endorsement for grips they manufacture

Edited by The_Vigilante

I put one on my Eagle. I did not have to "fit" it at all, it was just the right amount of snug. I set the grip on the bench, put the frame into it it was just a little bit from being on far enough so I set a small block of wood that had on the bench across the frame rails right above the open area where the mag would be and tapped it with a screw driver handle and it went the rest of the way easily. I have to say, I love it!

null_zpsb11538da.jpg

It will crack. I went through one of the black units, and sold the spare. I was warned in PM from some other members but wanted to see for myself.

There just simply isn't enough material above the mag catch on both sides. If you compare them to the steel and aluminum versions offered by Infinity and Phoenix Trinity, these areas are beefed up.

STI needs to do the same. The grip felt great. It fit my hands awesome, and reloads were slick. Keep in mind, I did not have to do any fitting either. It slipped right on. The fit was great.

I would cough up the extra couple hundred for a steel version from Phoenix Trinity.

Edited by JaeOne3345

Good point. I ran it on a limited gun. 5" 40sw, bull barrel, butler cut, shooting 180 grain moly bullets at 170-171 PF. I was running a 12.5 ISMI with no shock buff and an ISMI 17 lb mainspring. Radiused firing pin stop. Lightened slide.