Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 brass processing with 1050 troubles.

So I seem to be having trouble getting consistent shoulder setback. First tried just running a decapper in # 2, FL sizing in #5 and trimming in #7. Didn't like what I was getting so I switched to FL sizing and decapping in #2 and trimming in #6. Getting about the same thing. Getting as much as .006 difference in shoulder measurement with a Hornady collet deal. I'm setting both dies with the plate full for sure. Kinda eyeing the swager maybe letting things tilt a little. This is crimped brass so I am using it. Any 1050 tips? Thanks.

Edited by Number99

Try just using the FL sizing/decapper in in #2. Then back off the trim size die enough to only have it trim. I have very consistent results with that. You may also want to check the swaging die/rod to make sure it's not lifting or pushing down too much.

How much is the swager causing your toolhead to tip? Try backing off the swage backup until it stops hitting so hard.

If you are running mixed headstamp brass with different web thicknesses, thicker webs are going to cause the swage station to tip the toolhead.

Try sizing in 5 and trimming in 8. This keeps you from sizing on the station that suffers from swager tip the most, station 7.

You may also want to back out your main sizer a little and let the trim die do a little more of the sizing, this way there's only one die that is controlling the final sizing.