Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate Steel Load

Paul B

I've been working up a steel load for .38 Super and have been getting some interesting results. I'm trying for a load with a 115 gr bullet that yields a power factor in the 130-135 area.

Started with one of my open guns with a 5" barrel (shorty) that I've used for full power loads. This gun is a tack driver with 115's and N105. One hole groups at 25 yards. I changed the spring from 11lbs to 8 and the first load I tried was 4.0 gr of Bullseye with the 115's. The gun functions perfectly and the power factor is 132, but the accuracy is really bad - 4" to 6" at 25 yds. I finally moved to VV N330 and at 5.8 grains power factor is 134 and accuracy is acceptable at 2".

What I can't understand is why the fast powder just seems to be inaccurate, but mid range to slower powders work much better. By the way, tried some VV N310 and got the same poor accuracy as Bullseye.

The gun has a Nowlin barrel and a standard twist for .38 Super (It's not one of those super slow twist barrels). All other variables - length, primer, etc. are the same. I even tried these loads in my other open guns with Nowlin barrels with the same results.

I'm guessing that there may be some bullet deformation when the fast powder pushes the bullet into the rifling, but it is puzzling.

Hey Paul,Steel lloads for me are Between 140 to 150 pf. I like useing slow powders cause it still makes the comp work. For some reason fast powders are not accurate. Maybe cause it builds pressure too fast and makes the bullet jump.At the PFs mentioned abouve the gun still runs real flat.

Titegroup was way too dirty for my liking, especially 170+ rounds at one sitting, N320 was much better. So long as it holds 2" at 25 yards, I'm happy with it for a steel load. No theories on why your accuracy gets worse.

• 5 weeks later...

4.0grs of Bullseye is a very light load and you are probably not getting a consistent powder burn. If you want to stay with a fast powder try something a little slower such as Winchester 231 at about 5.5grs. Make sure you have a very firm crimp to help with the initial pressure spike and you should get the accuracy you are looking for.

N310 is even faster then Bullseye, and would not be of any help. N330 is much slower then either one of them. N320, PB, and HP-38 work well in steel loads. I use PB a lot for light to mid PF 38 Super or 40S&W loads and it works well.

I tried the same thing in 9x19 this year, and now use W231 and WST for the light steel loads in my cone comp 2 port steel gun. The fast powders wouldnt cycle the gun reliably until around 130+. With the slightly slower powder I can run the gun lower 105-110 reliably all day long. Try a little slower powder and see what happens. DougC