Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Release Button Alternatives

mr0ldie

So I love my (Stock I?) Elite Match so far. I have new sights from Henning on the way and I'm sure soon I'll also replace the trigger with his as well. However, I like the way the gun shoots, feels in my hand, the works--with one exception. I have trouble pressing the mag release without shifting my grip, which I really don't want to have to do. My hands are pretty average size but I just have trouble consistently releasing mags without shifting my grip slightly.

I swapped the mag release button to the opposite side and I'm now trying to release with my index finger, which I actually like better except that the button is a tad too far back now and I'm always pressing on the sharp edge of it this way. Sure after I do it hundreds of times my finger won't feel the sharp edge but I'm still reaching to get to it (although my grip does have to shift less). Is there a mag release button available that would either extend farther back and up for my thumb or one that extends farther forward for my index finger? If not, what other alternatives have you all come up with?

Yes, I plan to experiment with the same thing; I only have one extended mag release for the small frame Witnesses and two small frames so I'm going to try adding a 1911 style paddle to one like one of these:

l_965405100_1.jpg

5191047.jpg374423.jpg

The only trouble is that this modification is not production legal so if you're in fact shooting a Stock I in Production you might want to consider a dirrerent option. If however you're shooting a Match in Limited, you're good to go.

Thanks for the replies. Kneelingatlas, I have the SA Match that I shoot in Limited, so it's no problem there. I like the look of what you have, when do you expect to have it done and would you mind sharing here? Does that paddle require shaving off any of the grip or does it fit over the grip just fine?

Edited by mr0ldie

• 3 months later...