Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

does it matter where you sling the rifle?

On some 3-gun stages you have to use a rifle sling. I read one place where it specifically says you have to sling it to the strong side. Is specifying this normal? Is there a particular position, or is dangling from your neck and shoulder on a sling the only thing that is usually required? I have a bad back and if I'm scouting on my land I change positions to minimize the pain so I'm used to both.

All the matches I've done so far require the slung rifle to be completely empty: empty chamber, empty magwell. It will depend on what you need to do while the rifle is slung. Low positions mean muzzle up to keep out of the dirt. Shooting another long gun, it's on my back, muzzle to my strong side to keep shoulder pocket free. Some of the things to think about and practice transitions.

All the matches I've done so far require the slung rifle to be completely empty: empty chamber, empty magwell.

Is this from the start or after shooting? If the latter, do you literally stop and refill your belt, or do you just drop the mag and jack the live round out onto the ground and keep on trucking?

2013 BRM3G Stage 8 started with rifle on 6 targets, had to clear and sling on the clock, transition to shotgun, then pistol, climb onto a roof then unsling to engage more rifle targets. Rifle could be slung at start, but had to be cleared before transition to shotgun, then pistol, and back to rifle. Other stages had rifle already slung before start signal. Need to carry all you need to complete the stage from the start signal.

Edited by NMBOpen

2013 BRM3G Stage 8 started with rifle on 6 targets, had to clear and sling on the clock, transition to shotgun, then pistol, climb onto a roof then unsling to engage more rifle targets. Rifle could be slung at start, but had to be cleared before transition to shotgun, then pistol, and back to rifle. Other stages had rifle already slung before start signal. Need to carry all you need to complete the stage from the start signal.

So I guess if it's a pretty full mag you keep it. What about the round in the chamber, do you just dump it or do people literally spend the time to pick it up and shove the dusty/muddy thing back in the mag? Or is that required?

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have shot stages that specified that the rifle be completely empty and no mag before transitioning to the pistol. I have also shot stages where we started with the rifle slung with a magazine inserted but the chamber was empty and used a shotgun at the start, then transitioned to the rifle, in this instance, we were specified to have the muzzle down. I have also started with the rifle slung empty and they didn't care if the muzzle was up or down, or rifle was in front or back. It really depends on whose match you are at and what the stage requirements are (ie: transitioning to the rifle or from the rifle).

Hurley

Most of the places I've shot don't allow you to sling a hot rifle and arrange the stages so that you would abandon rather than retain it. That makes it a bit simpler to figure out what to do -- pull the handguard out from your strong side armpit, shoulder it, load it, and go to town. Muzzle down at the strong side works well.