Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going from glock to 1911 in steel challenge

Kimbertarget

Hello,

Im a newbie who recently switched from USCA two-gun to STEEL CHALLENGE.

After my 1st steel challenge match i was hooked. On 3hrs of sleep and a long ride to ST.augustine FL,i won my second only steel challenge match in production class in october at A.C.S.R. In ST. Aug, using my E.D.C. Glock-19. I love my Colt enhanced 1911 And my kimber poly target double stack,but cannot draw either as fast as my glock. Seems like i have tohave my thumb pointed down to dig past my grip i order to get a good grips. Yes,i have tried three other holsters. My kydex glock holster is further away from my belt allowing me to draw much easier. What 1911 holsters are not so snug against the waist?

I was thinking of having a leatherman make a small buldge on the backside of the holster allowing it to sit away from my belt. Im thin so its not my anatomy, but the holsters seem to close to my waist area.

I havent run my COLT ENHANCED 1911 yet in single stack and want to make sure i have a good holster to practice with since the J.B.P. leather,custom and a desanti just are not cutting it.

Also ive had a KIMBER TARGET poly widebody i just found magazines for and would like to run in steel challenge as well what USPSA class would it be in? Limited/SSP?

Thank you for any help.

For a 1911 holster, I am using the Blade Tech with a couple of spacers between the holster and belt attachment. This has helped move the gun off the body enough and is well under the 2" requirement. There is another thread on here where Blade Tech has a spacer for the single stack division rules.

I also use a Blade Tech for my 1911s. I use faucet washers between the belt plate and the holster. Just make sure you keep everything within the rquired distance from the belt. See appendix section in the USPSA Rule Book.

You are welcome to borrow mine to see if it works for you before buying one. Let me know I will bring it to the next match.

I also use a Blade Tech for my 1911s. I use faucet washers between the belt plate and the holster. Just make sure you keep everything within the rquired distance from the belt. See appendix section in the USPSA Rule Book.You are welcome to borrow mine to see if it works for you before buying one. Let me know I will bring it to the next match.

Im going to be at the GSSF, but if your going to be there i will bring my Kimber just to understand how the spacers work for me. I just realized all the PHOTOBUCKET pics ive posted are not showing up,it says i dont have enough postings to post pics, guess being a forum NEWBIE i have to go through some hazing?

I had someone email me andi couldnt understand why the pictures didnt answer their questions.

When will i be able to post a photobucket link?

Thank you.

P.s. i dont like RAILs on any 1911s if im in a situation where i need a flashlight i rather not be searching for family in the dark with the muzzle of a firearm whether in condition "0" or "3"

I wish Glocks put more surface area on dust covers like Tanfoglio or EAA STOCK II/limited ,instead of rails.

My 1911s are rail-less :)

Edited by Kimbertarget

USPSA has divisions, not classes. Open division, production division...etc. (Class)ification is your rating as a shooter. (ABCD, Master, Grandmaster) +1 on the BT with spacer.

Thank you for clarification, my october match was my second only steel challenge ever, production "division", at ancient city shooting range in ST AUG,FL, and i guess i was lucky because i won the "production division"

Im still learning so go easy on the nomenclature im asking questions and being as humble as possible.

Thank you for the correction sir. Im sure im a "D" class newbie,my time was 137.49 using a glock-19 with alot of mistakes,a walmart blackhawk plastic non-serpa holster and 4hrs of sleep ;)

Im sure i will do a bit better with some coaching.

Edited by Kimbertarget