Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering a caliber change from 9mm to .40 for uspsa(reload/cast)

MrWesson

So I currently cast for 9mm and reload rounds for about $40 and because of the size in bullet vs the .40 it will cost me some lead(~500 less bullets per 50lb of lead),I load on a pro 1000 so the switch over is pretty simple,brass bulge concerns,stocking up on .40 brass(have alot of 9mm), and ultimately using more powder(shoudn't be much).

I shoot USPSA Limited with a XD 9mm service with a trigger job and shoot at a disadvantage scoring in minor power factor vs the .40 guys. I also shoot a 4" slide so my sight radius isn't great.

I would probably buy a glock 35 and upgrade or buy used. I would also replace the barrel with a lone wolf .40 barrel because I shoot lead exclusively because I cast my own bullets.

I'd also keep an eye out for a XDM competition and M&P PRO so I wont have to worry about buying another barrel.

This also would mean I would switch my HD pistol for something in .40 as well. Another concern is that I shoot 9mm very well since I have about 8-10k rounds down range with it. I can get groups that touch at 15yds slow fire sometimes and can only think of a couple times I shot a .40 cal.

So would you do it?

So I currently cast for 9mm and reload rounds for about $40 and because of the size in bullet vs the .40 it will cost me some lead(~500 less bullets per 50lb of lead),I load on a pro 1000 so the switch over is pretty simple,brass bulge concerns,stocking up on .40 brass(have alot of 9mm), and ultimately using more powder(shoudn't be much).

I shoot USPSA Limited with a XD 9mm service with a trigger job and shoot at a disadvantage scoring in minor power factor vs the .40 guys. I also shoot a 4" slide so my sight radius isn't great.

I would probably buy a glock 35 and upgrade or buy used. I would also replace the barrel with a lone wolf .40 barrel because I shoot lead exclusively because I cast my own bullets.

I'd also keep an eye out for a XDM competition and M&P PRO so I wont have to worry about buying another barrel.

This also would mean I would switch my HD pistol for something in .40 as well. Another concern is that I shoot 9mm very well since I have about 8-10k rounds down range with it. I can get groups that touch at 15yds slow fire sometimes and can only think of a couple times I shot a .40 cal.

So would you do it?

Shoot production.

I have a few questions:

- is your XD 4" your only pistol?

- is there a reason you don't shoot it in Production?

- do you shoot USPSA primarily for the competition? Or to become more proficient with your HD gun?

Reasoning for not shooting production.

Not popular with my club for some reason

Because of this spending 50 rounds per stage is not uncommon

seems like I spend more time making mag changes vs shooting

I shoot for the fun and competition self defense comes last but doesn't hurt.

Besides my .22 pistols and my carry weapon yes it is my only pistol.

I have been looking into a few replacements

Modded factory pistols in .40(G35,m&p,XDM)

CZ75 in .40

Eaa witness match

Still searching around

I have been looking into a few replacements

Modded factory pistols in .40(G35,m&p,XDM)

CZ75 in .40

Eaa witness match

I can't tell you much about the striker fired pistols because I'm not a big fan, but if you're going to get a hammer fired steel pistol for Limited I would look at the Tactical Sport or a Tanfoglio Limited.

If you want to be competitive in Limited the simple answer is, yes. You can always put an ad on here to swap 9mm for .40 brass. As for the increase in cost, you have to pay to play. You're still saving money by casting your own bullets.