Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightening Trigger on a S&W 500?

56hawk

With full power loads it is more than a .454 Casull. It seems that way to me anyhow.

You think? I've had to sight in a couple for customers and I didn't find them too bad. The last one, a 6" (i think) with a scope was less punishing than my 4" 629. My 454 Blackhawk is a bit worse, with full-house loads. It's a smaller frame.

The .450 on the other hand has punishing muzzle blast. Recoil is not so bad but at our indoor range it's loud. Cleared my sinuses at the first shoot.

The first time I did an action job on a .500 S&W, the owner gave me 50 rounds of factory ammo to run through it to test ignition reliability.

I shot them all in one session, and it wasn't bad at all. These guns are really big and heavy.

Somewhere around here is a link to a dude shooting his .500 S&W on a USPSA stage....surprised nobody has posted it in this thread.....

The first time I did an action job on a .500 S&W, the owner gave me 50 rounds of factory ammo to run through it to test ignition reliability.

I shot them all in one session, and it wasn't bad at all. These guns are really big and heavy.

Somewhere around here is a link to a dude shooting his .500 S&W on a USPSA stage....surprised nobody has posted it in this thread.....

Actually, that's the OP.

See post #11

Well, I dropped in a Wolff reduced power mainspring and rebound spring. Trigger pull went from 12 lbs down to 8 lbs and I haven't even polished anything yet. Took it to the range and went through 50 rounds without any problems. It's a lot more enjoyable to shoot now. :D

I happened to be there when David showed up. It's not any more enjoyable to be around. It was starting to get dark. Talk about a fireball! David has his speed loaders ready to go for the next match. Oh boy!

Finished building a new speed loader holder today. Now I'll be able to start a stage with 45 rounds.

By the way RIchard, feel free to bring your camera this Sunday. Should be a blast.

post-43768-0-93643000-1384231136_thumb.j

How much does it cost per round to reload 500? I cannot imagine shooting a whole match with one. I have a bad enough flinch now. lol

I was curious and It looks like an economical load would be a Speer 350 gr JSP that sells for $20.30 (50ct) when you can get them, Titegroup 11 to 18.5 gr, Hornady brass $35 for 50ct. (Starline is out with no backorder), large rifle primers.

So it looks like roughly one round would be about $1.23, $61.48 for 50.

I use Bear Creek 340 grain lead bullets at $40 for 250. 40.5 grains of H-110. Comes out to about $0.29 a round. Not that bad considering.

Actually, that's the OP.

See post #11

Yep, that's me. My avatar is actually a frame from that video. If you look closely you can see the ring of fire in front of the wall.

How much does it cost per round to reload 500? I cannot imagine shooting a whole match with one. I have a bad enough flinch now. lol

I was curious and It looks like an economical load would be a Speer 350 gr JSP that sells for $20.30 (50ct) when you can get them, Titegroup 11 to 18.5 gr, Hornady brass $35 for 50ct. (Starline is out with no backorder), large rifle primers.

I use Bear Creek 340 grain lead bullets at $40 for 250. 40.5 grains of H-110. Comes out to about $0.29 a round. Not that bad considering.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

When you add the brass and primers it comes out to about $1.02 per round or $51.11 for 50. Still not bad.

Edited by toothguy

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

When you add the brass and primers it comes out to about $1.02 per round or $51.11 for 50. Still not bad.

I didn't count the cost of brass since I'm still using the same brass I bought five years ago.